Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14396 Discussions

9900k drivers not functional

CWaln
Beginner

Attmepted to install WIN10 about 8 times - the drivers will install for LAN and chipset and are available but I cannot install GPU or soundcard drivers - infact I cannot install anything because the OS reads "certificate error" everywhere. Attempted to install debian linux also drivers not functional. I have a net link but the drivers just appear to be not functional thus I cannot update anthing.

ROG maximus xi hero wifi - 1302 bios

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are using the drivers provided by Asus, correct?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

If those drivers (and bios) are not working, either their board is faulty, or the processor is faulty. And, since Linux is not working either, it further points to the board or processor.

Try a different processor. If the problem persists, contact Asus for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

Attempted literally every bios and received a replacement board from amazon. Problem still persists Windows will not function with the chipset. The drivers are installed and functional but Windows does not detect them. In fact it detects no drivers or devices just USB and mice/keyboard. I hate to ship a $500 CPU back :(

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Hard to imagine you can install windows, but not update the drivers. You may have no choice but to return the processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

I can install WIN10 from an old USB sent from microsoft, apparently these won't work because the older OS won't detect the new chipset - but when attempting to install WIN10 via bootable USB with a current version ISO of WIN10 I can enter my product key, then it will install the OS, restart, and hang just before I am able to get to the screen where it says "choose express settings" location/ all those types of options.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Still, you say you have problems with linux as well...

Use my procedure here to install Windows 10, 1903.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Icw2bSAB/problems-with-microsoft-supplied-windows-10-install-media-use-this-procedure-to-install-windows-10-on-your-nuc?language=en_US

Do not deviate from the procedure. Make sure you are set for UEFI boot, SATA mode set to AHCI, and use only a usb stick formatted on a PC (not mac or linux).

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

installs OS.......

restarts..........

starting services........

getting devices ready.........

getting ready.....

restarts..........

hang

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Unplug all hardware not needed, i.e. dvd, usb, printer, scanner, etc. Keep only the boot drive, mouse, and keyboard, and lan/net connection. Then, try a clean install again with my procedure.

Tell me that you are using a usb stick created as per the Microsoft site.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also tell me that you know the install drive is known to be good.

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

Same outcome 2 seperate samsung 850 ssd:

installs OS.......

restarts..........

starting services........

getting devices ready.........

getting ready.....

restarts..........

hang

The installer used the Sandisk Cruzer and formated it - I had to format it using rufus beforehand because it was a windows bootable but never the less I am seeing the same outcome, booting to hang just before it is set up for the desktop. This has occured on both the ISO version and this USB created bootable using the media creation tool. 1 Ram installed nothing else.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do you have an HDD you can use to install just as a test? There have been problems with Samsung SSDs.

The other option is using different memory.

There is something, obviously, occurring that is causing this. I do not believe it is the processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

I thought aboutthe ram aswell but I do not have an extra set of ram to test - I think it is defaulted to 3200mhz with no xmp or some basic config. I am testing HDDs - I have 2 seagates and a hitachi, one of the seagates hung at the same spot as the samsungs........

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

All 5 drives hung up before reaching the desktop. with 1 ram installed in slot A2.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Lower the speed of the memory to 2666.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Any update with lower memory speed?

Doc

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

Okay I pulled the cpu and ram and they are ready to be shipped back. The RAM I did read about this issue once before on a different subject. I delidded a 4790k a few months ago and toasted the IMC so only channel B worked - which is why I pulled everything and only put a RAM in slot A2. As per these memory modules themselves I did three things: slots A1+B1(by mistake), A2+B2, and A2.

I also reseated the CPU to test the memory channel. My motherboard did read the temperature a little betterwith a built in gauge it has in it, the other times it would have an error code A0 but when reseated it actually had some temps but eventually defaulted back to A0. The motherboard said "new CPU!" when I reseated it.

I only had 2 motherboards with seperate bios installed by the previous owners I did not clear CMOS when I got them - its possible they could have been 2133mhz or 3200mhz but on both of them the BIOS was flashed and if I remember correctly the basic config set the memory to 2133mhz I did not XMP on about 12 WIN10 installations.

Now I did XMP A2+B2 on one installation I believe on the samsung SSD but it may have been the earlier release of WIN10 which was not compatible with the new chipset. ON a current release of WIN10 3200mhz may have worked but at this point with 1k worth of components not functioning I might try a different brand of RAM and a new CPU.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CWaln,

We would like to know if the issue is solved after trying the recommended steps by the community members.

Also, were you able to test using different RAM or another processor?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CWaln
Beginner

I RMAd the core of the system cpu, mboard, ram. As far as I went with my readings the issue was the corsair ram - I did not check the QVL beforehand and don't know if it was on there but I did and didn't XMP and it was stock and I was changing bios so in all that madness I did not xmp for the new win10 installs. I did consider the timings as the issue but I do not have enough experience testiong the ram to custom ram and calibrating it. At that point I probably would have done more harm than good and my return window was closing. Granted my asus boards were used and my win10 installs werent preinstalled before the new chipset so I imagine this had something to do with it.

Ram is one thing I know nothing about but I know one thing I am more apt to screw up the timing to non-boot and not be able to figure out to reste the board. Again, I did not have the free time to learn fail safes for bios or memory calibrations or cpu diagnosing. Each one of those takes time to learn. I know there were no bent pins and no apparent shorts on the board, the chip was flawless and had no defects, and the ram set was flawless. The build came to a point where it was beyond my expertise. I spent 3-6 days installing OSs alone.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CWaln,

Thank you for your response.

Based on your last response, was this testing performed with the old parts (processor, motherboard, and RAM)?

You mentioned you were going to perform a replacement of the components, was that successfully done?

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CWaln,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CWaln,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos