Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

A question about package TDP and core TDP

C王
Beginner

If the values of package TDP is very different from the values of core TDP, can we think the quality of the CPU is not good enough?

For example, when the CPU processing with full load and the package TDP is about 45W, the core TDP is only 35W.

And my CPU is 8750H. I think my laptop has great cooling ability.

I am so sorry about my unpracticed ENGLISH.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello 6W6,

I understand that you would like to know if your processor is bad quality or not.

The processors nowadays use less power and they are faster. OEM can configure the TDP depending on the need or use of the system. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. This means that you could get in contact with your laptop manufacturer and check with them these readings.

Also, please refer to the link below to check the different TDP options that you can experience depending on your manufacturer or the setup:

https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

Hi idata,

So, what is Package TDP? Which includes in Package TDP?

What is Core TDP? All cores or one core?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you talk about TDP, you are talking at the package level because you are talking about the package's ability (with its cooling system) to dissipate the heat generated per watt so as to avoid temperatures reaching the Maximum Junction Temperature. You do measure the temperature on a per-Core basis, however, since the DTS (thermal sensors) are located at the hotspots for each Core. In terms of fan speed control, an external (i.e. separate IC) fan speed controller will base its fan speed control decisions on the processor's package temperature, which it receives from the processor via the PECI bus and which is an amalgam of the temperatures from all of the per-Core DTS as well as all Uncore and Graphics DTS.

Clear as mud?

...S

0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

@n_scott_pearson 

Do you mean Package TDP=CPU TDP + CacheTDP + iGPU TDP? Is it all CPU Package?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No. I mean it's everything in the package, Cores, Uncore, GFX, etc. Cooling is done at the package level and TDP correspondingly needs to be stated in term of the package and its thermal dissipation. Having a TDP for an individual component in the package is completely useless; you want it for the entire package.
...S
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 6W6,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Crericper
Beginner

In my opinion, Package TDP includes Core TDP and Graphics TDP. However, Core TDP doesn't include Graphics TDP. ​

0 Kudos