Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

AVX-512 support on various processors

Dobratz__Glenn

The product documentation for newer processors state that they support the AVX-512 instructions set.  But AVX-512 comes in many flavors/variants/subsets.

Is there documentation anywhere that states which processors support which AVX-512 variants?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Actually, I think I have effectively demonstrated that Intel does not make this information easily obtainable. All is not lost. There are places on the Internet where you can find this information. For example, check out this page: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i9/Intel-Core%20i9%20i9-10900K.html. As you can see, all the information on this processor's AVX support is documented from its CPUID instruction.
...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Dobratz__Glenn, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this matter, you mentioned that "the product documentation for newer processors state that they support the AVX-512 instructions set", could you please provide the link so we can verify the information showing in there as well?

The information requested about the AVX-512 variants, is for a specific processor model? If that is the case, please provide the model of the Intel® Processor.

Are you a developer?

Is there any particular reason why you need that information?

Are you working on a hardware/software project?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn

The documentation is every Intel processor spec sheet for processors that support any variant of AVX-512 on their web-site.

"The information requested about the AVX-512 variants, is for a specific processor model?"

I am not interested in an individual processor model but all Core processor models that support AVX-512, including 9th, 10th, and 11th generation models.

"Are you a developer?"

I am a developer but my interest is that of a potential buyer who is looking to find processors that support several specific instructions that I need (or would like to have).

"Is there any particular reason why you need that information?"

Why wouldn't people buying a processor want to know specifiics about what they are buying?  Is this information secret for some reason?

So I repeat my original question:  Is this information available somewhere?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Whether or not a particular processor has support for AVX-512 is documented in the processor spec summary. Simply go to https://ark.intel.com and search for a particular processor. In the spec. summary for this processor, look for field Instruction Set Extensions in the Advanced Technologies section. If AVX-512 is supported, it will be included in the field's information.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn

I'm aware of this (as stated in my original post).  The processor spec only state that the process supports AVX-512 instructions.  However there are many AVX-512 variantes and subsets and these are not mentioned at all in the processor spec sheets.  I would like to know how you find out which processor support which variants of the AVX-512 instruction set.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, for starters, you can look at the datasheets, which are all published here: Technical Resources (datasheets, etc.) for Intel Core Processors. Alternatively, you can always run the CPUID instruction on the processors in question and look at the feature bits.

...S

0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn

I do appreciate your attempts to help, but we don't seem to be communicating effectively here.

The documents you refer to only describe what the various AVX-512 enhancements are, but provide no mention of which enhancements are available on which processors.  The 9th Gen datasheets make no mention at all of AVX-512 enhancements but some 9th Gen processors do support them.  The 10th and 11th Gen datasheets do enumerate all possible enhancements but then state that not all SKUs support all enhancements and provide no break-downs on which enhancements are available on which SKUs.  Individual processor tech specs do not have this information either.

For example, my current CPU, a SkylakeX i9-9980XE, supports AVX-512 F, CD, BW, DQ, and VL, but not AVX-512 IFMA, VBMI, VPOPCNTDQ, VPCLMULQDQ, VNNI, GFNI, VAES, or BITALG.

I need some of the enhancements that it does not support (specifically VPOPCNTDQ, VBMI, and BITALG) and would like to know whether a given processor has them, BEFORE I buy it (CPUID only helps if you already have the processor).  I don't what to buy another processor only to find out, after the fact, that it does not have the instructions that I need.

I can't find information on which processors have which enhancements anywhere on the Intel web site.  The processor tech specs don't have it, and the processor datasheets don't have it.  For me, this is critical pre-purchase information.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Actually, I think I have effectively demonstrated that Intel does not make this information easily obtainable. All is not lost. There are places on the Internet where you can find this information. For example, check out this page: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i9/Intel-Core%20i9%20i9-10900K.html. As you can see, all the information on this processor's AVX support is documented from its CPUID instruction.
...S
0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn

Thank you for the useful link.  I guess I will have to go in search of other non-Intel sources of this data.

Silly me, here I expected Intel to provide the pre-purchase information that customers might need. 

0 Kudos