Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

About maximum processor support

Kocoglu
Beginner

Hi, my name is Mert I live in Cyprus, I am a new member, I am happy to meet you, I need help with a small issue, I would be very happy if you share your great information with me. My English may not be good please excuse me.

The truth of the matter is

the 2010 model 15'' macbook pro
8gb 1067mhz
I am using a laptop with i7 620m processor.
I want to upgrade my processor. In my projects where I am a university student in Cyprus, my processor is insufficient. My financial situation is very bad, I can only afford a second hand processor.
Since I will do the processor replacement myself, I will only pay for the processor.
What I want to learn is
What processor can I install in my computer?
Thank you in advance for your help.
(By the way, I'm Turkish, I couldn't find enough resources because Turks are ignorant on these issues, although I wouldn't use a 22-year-old laptop if I wasn't born in Turkey)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Since this is an Apple laptop, you need to contact Apple for support.

And, depending on the processor socket, you may not be able to do anything.   Even if you have the proper socket, a processor upgrade will offer little performance improvement on a laptop that old.

Still, contact apple for the proper information regarding an upgrade.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Kocoglu
Beginner

Yes, I contacted that place as well, I'm trying my luck in every way. I am constantly searching the sources for the processor socket Bga1288, but I am not quite sure, let me research it thoroughly. Appe may not take me seriously in this matter either. but if it supports i can even install amd processor.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you do have a BGA socket, you will not be able to upgrade your processor as it is soldered to the motherboard.

If you do not have a BGA socket, only Apple  can tell you what processors are supported by their bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos