Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Adaptive boost vs Adaptive Boost (251w)

JazzN7
New Contributor I

In my BIOS I get the option to enable adaptive boost or Adaptive boost (251w). Could someone explain to me the difference? Is the option without 251w have a higher draw? Or is it the opposite? Whish selection has better performance. This is on an Intel i9-11900k, 1000w power supply. 420mm water cooler with a 6900 XT. Motherboard is an MSI MEG Z590 ACE ATX LGA1200. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, should I enable it etc.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel

Hello @JazzN7,

Regarding the difference, we have information about it. IAB (251W) limits the power at 251W, and IAB has no this limitation. So in some cases, IAB may generate more power than IAB (251W).

This is more on motherboard design, and here is a reference page on 3rd website (provided for convenience and as reference only):

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/11/16/msi-mag-z590-torpedo-motherboard-review/7/

It is described as:

By enabling Adaptive Boost we saw a real advantage in all core frequencies on the CPU. It went up from 4.8GHz at default to 5.015GHz at Adaptive Boost 251W and 5.1GHz with fully unlocked Adaptive Boost. This frequency boost allowed real improvements in benchmarks and a reduction in rendering times on the CPU. This did make the power go up, but it was as predicted.

The performance level at 251W is close enough to unlock that it provides the best balance of pushing the CPU (overclocking) and power and heat generated. The little extra frequency and performance from having the CPU unlocked at full Adaptive Boost isn’t worth the extra Wattage, temperature, and performance it provides. Therefore, if you wish to overclock the Intel Core i9-11900K, stick with Adaptive Boost 251W on the MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO motherboard.

If you need to get more details or have more concerns about this feature, please, contact the OEM.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello JazzN7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Intel® Adaptive Boost Technology (Intel® ABT) is a new feature with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-11900K and i9-11900KF processors. It improves gaming performance by opportunistically allowing higher multi-core turbo frequencies. 

However, enabling this feature requires an Intel® ABT-ready BIOS. You mentioned that the BIOS of your motherboard provides you with two options. Since you are looking for the difference between the two options, you must contact your Motherboard manufacturer to confirm this information.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @JazzN7,

Regarding the difference, we have information about it. IAB (251W) limits the power at 251W, and IAB has no this limitation. So in some cases, IAB may generate more power than IAB (251W).

This is more on motherboard design, and here is a reference page on 3rd website (provided for convenience and as reference only):

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/11/16/msi-mag-z590-torpedo-motherboard-review/7/

It is described as:

By enabling Adaptive Boost we saw a real advantage in all core frequencies on the CPU. It went up from 4.8GHz at default to 5.015GHz at Adaptive Boost 251W and 5.1GHz with fully unlocked Adaptive Boost. This frequency boost allowed real improvements in benchmarks and a reduction in rendering times on the CPU. This did make the power go up, but it was as predicted.

The performance level at 251W is close enough to unlock that it provides the best balance of pushing the CPU (overclocking) and power and heat generated. The little extra frequency and performance from having the CPU unlocked at full Adaptive Boost isn’t worth the extra Wattage, temperature, and performance it provides. Therefore, if you wish to overclock the Intel Core i9-11900K, stick with Adaptive Boost 251W on the MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO motherboard.

If you need to get more details or have more concerns about this feature, please, contact the OEM.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @JazzN7,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
JazzN7
New Contributor I

Thanks again, sorry for the very slow response. I have a 1600w PSU now, so I have no issue giving it as much juice as possible. So to my understanding default adaptive boost provides the highest performance with the highest power draw; While 251w adaptive boost locks it, but keeps the power draw limited.

0 Kudos