Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

After HP Z820 BIOS Update Windows 10 only sees 1 core instead of all 6

ACara5
Beginner

I upgraded the BIOS on an HP Z820 Workstation that is running Windows 10 on two Xeon E5-2630 CPUs. After the update, windows will only recognize one core. I updated every driver in the machine, built a new instance of Windows on a clean drive, and tried every possible variation of BIOS settings

After working on this for four days I see that buried in the BIOS release notes is a notation that the update also updates the microcode in the CPUs. YIPES!

Could this be the source of the problem? Can I recover the mirocode or load in a current version? Where would I look for the microcode?

Thanks for any help folks!

Art

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask HP about THEIR BIOS.

Doc

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello ACara5, You do recommend performing a BIOS recovery on your system. Please contact HP for further information. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello ACara5, I am following your question and would like to know if you need more assistance. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ACara5
Beginner

Hi Sergio:

Wellllll, I’m ok and don’t need any more help. Before I received your initial guidance I decided to try a different processor. Bottom line, I fat-fingered the CPU socket, bending some of the pins, essentially destroying the motherboard. So much for solving the problem.

BTW - the new CPU also showed only one core, so you were correct, the problem was elsewhere in the firmware.

I just bought a new computer. The ultimate solution!

😂😂😂😂😂

Thanks for you help and advice

Art

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello ACara5, Feel free to contact us in case you need more help. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos