Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

After the update, should I see not started in Device Manager for MEI during updating (Timestamp while updating)?

A123-N
Novice

I see not started in the Event Tab in Device Manager for Intel's MEI during updating, but Device Manager shows that the MEI is working after reboot.  Also, I checked the Window Event logs and no errors during the update.​  I assume that the event "not started" shows because the pc needed a reboot to complete installation.  The driver version looks right and Intel Management Engine Components version 1922.12.0.1276 shows in Windows Apps.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

A123-N, Thank you for your response.

Perfect, excellent, if "Device Manager" is showing that the Intel® Management Engine driver installed is version 1914.12.0.1256, the one provided by ASUS, then that is the proper driver for your system and it should work with no problems even if Windows* Apps Screen is showing a different version.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

A123-N, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are glad to hear that the Intel® Management Engine is working fine after the computer was rebooted.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance and to check if this behavior is normal, we just needed a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
A123-N
Novice

ASUS ​Maximus X Code

Intel i7-8700K

Desktop

Windows 10 Pro 1903 (64-bit)

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

A123-N, Thank you very much for providing those details.

We recommend to install the Intel® Management Engine version validated and provided by the ASUS, which is V1914.12.0.1256, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEI_Intel_Consumer_CNL_TP_W10_64_VER19141201256_20190603R.zip

However, you can keep using the Intel® Management Engine version that is currently installed, that is the generic version of the driver, so, in the case something occurs or if there is a problem with the PC, the best thing to do will be to install the driver version provided by ASUS.

And yes, it is normal, depending on the type of driver that you are trying to install, to see the message "Not Started" in 'Device Manager"  while the driver is being updated since as you mentioned, the PC needs to reboot to complete the installation process to properly install the driver.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
A123-N
Novice

Thanks, ​I did install ASUS version 1914.12.0.1256 before contacting this community.  In Device Manager, the version matches ASUS.  In Windows Apps Screen, Intel Management Engine Components is version 1922.12.0.1276.  I believe I saw the 1922.12.0.1276 on an Intel screen during installation of the ASUS version.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

A123-N, Thank you for your response.

Perfect, excellent, if "Device Manager" is showing that the Intel® Management Engine driver installed is version 1914.12.0.1256, the one provided by ASUS, then that is the proper driver for your system and it should work with no problems even if Windows* Apps Screen is showing a different version.

Regards,

Alberto R.