Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Alder lake i3-12100 not booting

Fuyursuki
Novice
Hello all,

Hoping to get some advice please - I've been building a PC for a friend, and I'm using an Intel chip and motherboard for the first time. Everything is set up properly and all plugged in, but when I come to turn the PC on all I get is a CPU error LED on the motherboard and the CPU fan turning on and off.

I've double checked for bent pins etc, made sure the fan is properly clicked in, even gone as far as had a replacement motherboard sent (ASrock Z690M phantom gaming).

I'm absolutely stumped about what is causing this - is there anything I might have missed on the CPU itself?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

First, you need to make sure that the base BIOS version shipped with the motherboard is compatible with the 12th gen CPU you want to use... There are cases where mobos released before some CPUs may require a specific BIOS update (microcode update)...

You said you replaced the motherboard ASrock Z690M phantom gaming, not sure if this is the model you used first or if this replacement is a new different model... Anyway, at least when it comes to this ASrock Z690M phantom gaming, it is supposed (based on their website) that BIOS version shouldn't be a problem as they state it supports this cpu i3-12100 since "all BIOS" versions... But, you wish to double check with them just in case...

My thoughts are: if you know both motherboards are good and both show CPU Led on (which is supposed is a clear and straightforward indication of an issue with the CPU), you need to check that the power supply cables for the CPU are properly installed. Some systems require only one set of cables (4 pins), others may require additional connectors (4+4 pins) and so on...

You should also confirm the PSU is working fine and providing the required energy to all components... and try to reset the CPU and the fan/cooler (overheating may prevent the booting process)

However, you may just be dealing with a failed CPU. do you have another to test?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

First, you need to make sure that the base BIOS version shipped with the motherboard is compatible with the 12th gen CPU you want to use... There are cases where mobos released before some CPUs may require a specific BIOS update (microcode update)...

You said you replaced the motherboard ASrock Z690M phantom gaming, not sure if this is the model you used first or if this replacement is a new different model... Anyway, at least when it comes to this ASrock Z690M phantom gaming, it is supposed (based on their website) that BIOS version shouldn't be a problem as they state it supports this cpu i3-12100 since "all BIOS" versions... But, you wish to double check with them just in case...

My thoughts are: if you know both motherboards are good and both show CPU Led on (which is supposed is a clear and straightforward indication of an issue with the CPU), you need to check that the power supply cables for the CPU are properly installed. Some systems require only one set of cables (4 pins), others may require additional connectors (4+4 pins) and so on...

You should also confirm the PSU is working fine and providing the required energy to all components... and try to reset the CPU and the fan/cooler (overheating may prevent the booting process)

However, you may just be dealing with a failed CPU. do you have another to test?

Fuyursuki
Novice

Hey there,

Thanks alots for your reply! Yes both motherboards (the original and the replacement) are the ASrock Z690M, it says on the website that it supports the 12th gen intel CPUs but I will get in touch with them regarding the BIOs.

Good idea on the power supply cables too - I did initially only plug in one set of cables, but I was still having the problem when I connected two sets (4+4). The PSU is a corsair 650w unit, I have a 750w in my own PC which I will try to see if its a PSU problem.

The fan/cooler is something I did wonder about, the CPU is supplied with a laminar rm1 which is attached using push pins? these click into the motherboard when engaged and there's no movement, when I built my AMD system I had to install a backplate etc but the motherboard has this pre-installed. I will have reseated the CPU about four times now across the two motherboards (ensuring there are no bent pints in the socket).

Unfortunately I don't have another intel CPU I can test - I will try the PSU and BIOs routes and let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Let's see how it goes with those steps... In the end, if you confirm all other critical components are working fine and both CPU and heatsink fan/cooler are properly installed, then you may need to wonder if this could be a problem with the CPU...

Here is the CPU  installation guide if you want to review (one more time) the installation status... I'm not sure how useful it is but sharing here just in case...

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/Instructions-LGA-1700_with-Integrated-Graphics_with-Fan-Heat-Sink.pdf

good luck with that!

Fuyursuki
Novice
Sorry for the late reply, just wanted to give an update and say I got it working!

It was an issue with the power supply cabling, the main ATX cable was burnt out from the box - when I used a spare it's booted up fine and we're all good to go.

A few lessons learned but thanks alot for your help!