Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Alienware M15 R4 cpu and gpu crazy after windows 11 February update

mroou
Beginner

Hello Everyone and sorry for my bad English since is not my first language.

I've been using my laptop for a month now. and have all the updates. but today I got the a windows 11 Update, were there was some slight small changes. like the weather widget on the left of the screen, some other internals, etc.

Before the updated I regularly work and played on the laptop, no problems at all. when I wasn't playing the CPU was on 3 to 4 GHZ maybe 2 when doing nothing, of the capacity and low temps. the same for the GPU on temps. my laptop have an i7-10870H, GPU: RTX 3070, 16 gb Ram.

before the update. When I played video games. Temperature was high. I had it on thermal setting of Full Speed and the CPU was always moving back and forward from 85 to 96 degrees. no problems at all. and the GHZ always at 4 to 4+ GHZ .GPU in the middles 75s deegres and very good performance. FPS were always on the 120 / 130 all the time. super good preformance and FPS.

Now that I update the laptop, with the new update from windows 11, that roll out this week (minimun changes according to microsoft), CPU is always on 4.30 GHZ even when im not doing anything not even moving the mouse, or, the computer just sitting there ON. tempeatures are low 50s 60s. but when playing video games the CPU never goes up more than 3.8 GHZ. tempeature is arround 85to 90 deegres. TCC is on 0. FPS on the other side, is always around 80, 90, sometimes can hold the 100ders. an this is annoying.

Would it be possible that this have something to do with the update? the most annoying part is when paying games. not getting the FPS like I just to is frustrating. and i want everything to run smooth.

just another comment. when im on Thermal setting called cool, thats suppose to be good for the GPU still on 4.4 GHZ and not going down. and if a start the game on this Thermal profile, it goes down too.

I receive comments about rolling down the update or change it back to windows 10. since i bought the computer i have been using windows 11, and never had a problem until this new update. so just want to know if this is update related or there will be an update coming so this can be fixed back to normal?

thank you very much you all. hope intel readi this and give me a real answer.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

mroou, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new laptop?

When did you purchase it?

Is there any particular reason why you needed to install the Windows* update?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides the Windows* update that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mroou
Beginner

hello. and thanks for the quick response.

My wife bought it as a present for  the 17/jan/2022 but i started using the computer two weeks ago (7 feb 2022).
I have not changed anything on the hardware or done anything to it. I updated windows because the computer told me there was an update. so i could update it.

I use this computer for work and gaming. If I am using the computer for work it is usually on 4.0 GHZ or more. and cool on tem. like between 50 to 70 degrees. When I game the heat goes to 83 up to 100 degrees. GHZ goes down a little like 3.5 to 4.0. I understand this is to keep the CPU cool. but before the update it wasn't this low.

I'll send the report later.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello mroou, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

"but before the update it wasn't this low.", yes, there are reports from users stating that after the Windows* update, they are also noticing some differences in the way the computer used to work. 

"When I game the heat goes to 83 up to 100 degrees. GHZ goes down a little like 3.5 to 4.0. I understand this is to keep the CPU cool", That is correct, especially in regards to games, that depending on the game that is running, it might be a highly intensive task for the processor to handle so it behaves that way in order to keep the machine working at an optimal temperature degree.

"I'll send the report later.", perfect, no problem at all, take your time, once you get the chance to provide the report we will be able to provide further insights about this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello mroou, I just wanted to check if there are any updates on this matter and on the SSU report and if you still need assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mroou
Beginner
Hello.

Sorry I haven't sent the report. I have been super busy. My laptop is fine, the same still happening, I think there's more information I can bring you guys with the test than what you guys can do for me correct?

Thank you all
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello mroou, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

"I think there's more information I can bring you guys with the test than what you guys can do for me correct?", that is correct. 

At this point, in order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor itself, we advise installing and running the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool. It does an overall test on the unit, and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

We also recommend getting in contact directly with Alienware support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/dell-subsidiaries/alienware-support-site

"I have been super busy", no problem at all, take your time in order to provide the SSU report since once you do that we will be able to provide further suggestions on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mroou
Beginner

Hello Sr.

which one I should download? I saw three. I run the dell diagnostic program and hardware seems to be fine I also have the latest update and drivers, and looks fine too. I think we can close this one now.

mroou_0-1646167100592.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

mroou, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

"I run the dell diagnostic program and hardware seems to be fine I also have the latest update and drivers, and looks fine too. I think we can close this one now", Perfect, excellent, it is great to know that everything looks fine, that the BIOS and the drivers are up to date and the computer is working properly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos