Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Aliexpress i7-4790 genuine or counterfeit Intel?

EJhan
Beginner

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intel-I7-4790-boxed-Core-i7-quad-core-processor-desktop-CPU-support-Z97-Free-Shpping/32952569756.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.658f496fqvtwYP

I recently bought 2 of these i7-4790 processors. is there any way to tell if they are genuine or counterfeit? is the batch and serial number enough or do I need to test it on a machine with Intel diagnostic software?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I am amazed at the number of people who buy the processors from that website and then ask if they are fake.

Or, is your real goal to try and sell these?

Doc

0 Kudos
EJhan
Beginner

Unfortunately I sold 2 of these to a customer and he is saying the packaging and CPUs are possibly counterfeit and possibly OEM/tray CPUs.

the aliexpress store was not answering my messages, I tried to cancel the sale and they refused to cancel and then sent me a suspicious blurry photo of the i7 box

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You recently purchased two, then resold them. Interesting. I never realized there was such a market for 5-year old processors.

It sounds to me like your problems are with your customer and that store. But, that is just my opinion.

Counterfeiters can create very convincing packages. One of the Intel support engineers may be able to help you.

Regarding that site/store, BUYER BEWARE.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

For testing the CPU genuinity you may use Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Leon

0 Kudos
EJhan
Beginner

I have never had a bad experience with a supplier like this. The box is missing the serial sticker. The chip says Vietnam and it's a gold color. Could it be used cpu like a tray processor?​

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello EJhan, The information provided on this thread is accurate. You can use the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to know if the processor is genuine. Now, could you please clarify this question: "Could it be used cpu like a tray processor?" Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello EJhan, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Matthew888
Beginner

Hello, I have the FPO and serial # on a suspect processor.  I ran it through the warrantee section of the Intel site to make sure its valid and only get the response back that it is a tray processor.  I need to know if these CPUs are remarked and were delidded as I suspect that they are.  The utility tool reads that it is a production CPU but I would like to know if you can tell by the serial # if its belongs to the FPO.

Serial # 3E426148A1712

FPO  # X848B673

is there a way to confirm that the serial # really belongs to the FPO listed above?

This was not purchased from a authorized reseller / Franchise disti.  

All are over heating and feel they were delidded and remarked with a newer Date Code.  How can I prove this if my hunch is correct?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

download and run the ipdt:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

If it passes, you are ok.

However, asking after you purchased makes no sense.  On any site, buyer beware.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos