Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Apollo Lake and Windows 11

Vegan
New Contributor I

My CPU is the Intel Celeron J3455 with 4 cores and 4 threads. The is Apollo Lake which admittedly is the not the latest platform.

My laptop has the TPM 2.0 showing in the device manager which is the Intel Trusted Platform feature so I figure Windows 11 should be compatible

My Celeron bottlenecks windows updates bad

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not TPM alone that is the requirement.   Your processor is not supported by Windows 11:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

The CPU architecture is compatible as I know of Skylake users with a TPM module were running it fine

Apollo Lake is the successor to Skylake

Machine did not exist last year, this one is a new for 2021 model

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Talk to Microsoft.  It is their list.  As far as your processor, it was released in 2016.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-30-ghz.html

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

So much for planned obsolescence with a machine new in 2021.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

With a five year old processor.   Look, I do not like it anymore than you.  But, complaining here about what Microsoft does is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee.

Also, note that Microsoft says this about running W11 on unsupported processors: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-windows-11-on-devices-that-don-t-meet-minimum-system-requirements-0b2dc4a2-5933-4ad4-9c09-ef0a331518f1

If you do speak with or contact Microsoft, tell them to reconsider 6th and 7th gen processors also.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

The installer does not off an option at all. 

AFAIK my CPU graphics are 9th gen but the logic is Goldmont architecture and the graphics is Apollo Lake

CPU has the TPM integrated

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have used the Microsoft registry patch to allow W11, right?

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-back-off-requirements-windows-11

Remember, if you have problems, Microsoft does not support you.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I post comments on my site and I am now bashing Intel as this CPU is a current model which sells for $31 last time I looked

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/sku/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-30-ghz/specifications.html

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Bash Intel all you want.  However, your processor is from 2016 and is not supported by Microsoft on Windows 11.  There is nothing stopping you from using the registry hack for Windows 11, nor is there anything stopping you from using Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

The registry hack also messes with windows updates

the CPU is still sold so it legally can be deemed contemporary unlike the now discontinued Gemini Lake etc

So refusing an OS on a current product suggests elitism which makes it even more of a violation of consumer law

My Celeron is slow when windows updates run, the CPU seems to be the bottleneck but when done its functional

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Oh, not another legal scholar. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Microsoft - not Intel - makes all of the decisions regarding what processors they will and will not support.

Microsoft established their cut line based upon the availability of certain security features in the processors. As much as I hate to say it (since I too have quite a few older machines), I have to agree with their cut line - and you should too if you care at all about security.

Off my soapbox now,

...S

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I have been pestering Microsoft as well over the CPU. The next model up which is discontinued is on the whitelist but it's no different from my CPU as several Celerons are all based on Skylake. 

The Jasper Lake Celeron was not around when I bought this machine back in April. That model is more than double the cost of my machine and it has been available for 2 weeks now.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Sorry, I have nothing helpful to add. Your processor hasn't been discontinued, but it certainly isn't contemporary (no matter what you think). Intel made no guarantees that Windows 11 would be supported (heck, Windows 11 didn't even exist as a concept when this processor was released).
Sorry, all you can do is keep hitting up Microsoft. Maybe something will happen or maybe you will simply be stuck with Windows 10, I just don't know.
...s
0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I am not wealthy enough to afford Jasper Lake so Arrow lake was the choice. I have a 1920x1080 LCD and machine works fine. It this whitelist nonsense that is annoying.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I stuffed a new SSD into my laptop and with a clean install of Windows 11 was successful it did not balk over the CPU.

All this tells me is that Apollo Lake need to use clean install of Windows 11. No CPU gripe.

0 Kudos