Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Are there any plans on releasing some mid-priced (namely i5 and i7) processors with hyperthreading for a Z390 chipset LGA 1151 motherboards?

JPopo2
Beginner

Hello,

i want to address to you with a simple question, because I am currently in a process of buying a new computer. As usual, I start from processor and so far my every choice was Intel due to it's known quality, longevity and most of all reliability. But this time I must say that I am seriously looking towards an AMD processor because all of them have hyperthreading enabled, and as we all can see, that is the direction processor technology is headed. And at the moment, AMD seems to have the upper hand, because the 9th ''generation'' of Intel i5 and i7 processors does not have that feature at all.

Do not get me wrong here, I am still a huge Intel fan and still I would rather opt for Intel than AMD, but this situation worries me a bit. And it worries me because all of us who want to buy a new computer now and have opted for a Z390 chipset motherboard (I am simply crazy about that Gigabyte Aorus line), we seem to be a bit in a limbo zone if you get me.

To make things clear, if we buy current generation of processors, on the long run, we will be hampered by that lack of hyperthreading, and as we have heard the next generation of Intel processors shall have a complete new LGA 1200 socket. So that leaves us practically nowhere if we decide to bu a 8th or 9th gen CPU, since the possibilities for upgrading the CPU for the one with hyperthreading will be virtually non-existant (the i9 shall be our only option and it costs so much money). In my opionion it would be fair to consider an introduction of, so to say, an iterim generation of CPUs, which could be a limited series of 9th generation CPUs with hyperthreading enabled in order to meet the demands in the future. That would really encourage me to opt for an Intel CPU one more time, to know that I have an option in the future if things seriously go in the direction of hyperthreading.

Thank you and kind regards,

Jaksa Popovic.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, while there are a lot of factors (caching, etc.) to take into account, in general, 2 non-HT cores are going to outperform 1 HT core. The 9th gen processors with 8 cores are going to outperform the 8th gen processors with 4 Cores and HT. Bottom line, that doesn't scare me away.

As well, I am willing to wait for a subsequent generation if this means that I get a processor that has a proper solution (not a O/S-level workaround that slows the processor) for the sideband attack vectors that currently plague HT-based solutions. Right now, because of these sideband attack issues, Linux disables HT.

As for the issue of socket change, this equally affects both AMD and Intel processors. In my mind, socket changes are good. Socket changes support new/better features, better power management, etc.

Just my opinions,

...S

0 Kudos
JPopo2
Beginner

Well I have to admit that it's been a while since I kept good track what was happening on the computer parts market, and that is mostly the reason why I am kinda scared to perhaps buy a CPU which is going to get outdated rather soon, primarily because I really don't know exactly what is going on on the market. Frankly, all those reviews and videos about that supposed advantage of an AMD processor because of hyperthreading and larger cache memory amount did make me a little more wary than usual. It's just that I don't want to end up short after spending a decent amount of cash for a new computer. My mind is mostly set on i5 9600 K or i7 9700K, and according to some reviews they seem to trail behind their AMD counterparts and cost also a bit more.

But, then the other, reasonable, side of me says that these CPUs are still damn good and that I should have faith in Intel as I always had. My actual question would be are current models of i5 and i7 CPUs capable of doing moderate to heavy loads today, and will they be able to do so 3-5 years from now?

And thank you very much for your answer, it was quite helpful :)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

One thing you don't say is when specifically you want to make this purchase. I ask because Intel's 10th generation Core processors are starting to appear and HT is again supported. I already have an Intel NUC10i7FNH NUC that has an Intel Core i7-10710U. This is a 6-core, 12-thread processor and its performance is pretty darn good for a Mobile/Embedded 15W processor. I expect the Desktop versions, when they appear (COVID-19 may affect schedules), to be as well equipped to support the future (see leaked information here: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i9-10900k-core-i7-10700k-and-core-i5-10600k-marketing-materials-leak).

...S

0 Kudos
JPopo2
Beginner

Well, I meant to do the purchase somewhere at the end of may, beginning of june. Suppose it is worth to wait for that 10th gen, since it will be unveiled till then if this article is true?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said, COVID-19 may affect schedules. We'll have to see as April 30th rolls around...

...S

0 Kudos