Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Assistance Please...need driver (64 bits Windows Pro) for Core 2 Duo T9500 laptop chipset

Lafite1968
Beginner

Gentlemen & Ladies,

Due to a change of OS ( fresh/ clean) installation of Windows from original OS 32 bits Vista Ultimate sp2 to Windows 7-Professional-64 bits, and a replacement of solid state drives, makes me believe I will need to replace the driver for the Intel processor.

My laptop is a good old Sony Vaio VGN-AR770 that has Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6 GHz / Or called PM965? processor.

BIOS info: Pheonix Tech LTD, version R2080J8

I tried using the " Intel Driver & Support Assist " , but the scanning takes forever.

I went back to Sony's website for driver/software, but they only have the 32 bits version/ Vista available for my laptop.

Due to the installation of OS was done on a clean/ flash basis, i believe the original driver for the intel chipset is gone, now perhaps running on Windows 7 Professional genetic driver??

Would anyone give me the link for the driver, please?

Or should download & install the 32 bits driver from Sony's website and then try the "Intel Driver & Support Assist" ?? Will this brings me a blue screen of death ?? I mean mixing 32 bits driver with 64 bits platform???

p.s. Earlier I asked for assistance at yr RAID section for driver, because my laptop has the RAID as well, and Alberto was so nice to help me got the RAID set up.

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Versions of the Chipset Software after 10.0.0.0 no longer have support for these older systems. You need to use an older version.

Try installing this version first: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22153/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-6-Series-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards?product=50244 Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for 6 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards. It was the last version released before they jumped to 10.0.0.0 (and dropped support for many older systems). If you have problems with this version, then try installing to this version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/10884/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Discontinued-Intel-Desktop-Boards?product=22640 Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for Discontinued Intel® Desktop Boards.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Scott,

First of all, thank you for yr response.

Just a quick clarification, the 2 links you provided earlier, I see the description says desktop board, but my sony is a laptop, would the links be also applicable laptop processor as well?

In addition, if, just if,...the 2 links do not work, do you think using the old driver ( Sony website still has the Vista Ultimate 32 bits driver for my laptop, will work on 64 bits platform-the OS now I have? (, ie, Windows 7 Pro)

Thanks and waiting for yr confirmation,....

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. They should be ok. This was just the easiest way I had to get to the download pages. If they do not contain INF files that match your hardware, the installer will either display an error message or just not enumerate any/all devices.
  2. Well, the INF Update packages are not 32- or 64-bit specific (they do not actually install any device drivers; they simply install INF files that configure standard Windows device drivers to (better) support the hardware present) but they may be Windows version specific (depending upon how old they are, there is always the possibility that the INF files in that package did not have support for Windows 7 included).

...S

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Scott,

As you mentioned, since both are NOT the driver itself, is it fair to say both are more like an add-on or to enhance the genetic driver from Windows 7?

Also, will it be better OR worse, if i go back to download the intel driver from Sony's website and go for the driver, then come back to install from yr link?? My worry about this is that Sony spunned off VAIO years ago so the driver is "original installed" version AND is 32 bits Vista, my thinking is that getting a 32 bits driver running on 64 bits OS....smell trouble??

Yr advice is appreciated, Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. First of all, without the INF files, the devices cannot be recognized, even if an applicable driver is present, as each subsequent generation had a different id for the device (even if it didn't change). Secondly, the INF files may contain data that configures the operation of the device and this can make a big difference in performance (ok, maybe 'enhance' does apply).

Let me answer this way: install the latest available package and then look to see what ISN'T enumerated. Obviously, we're only talking the chipset devices here; others - like audio, graphics, etc. - will be resolved by separate device driver packages.

...S

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Scott,

I see,...let me do this right now and I will keep you inform, thank you.

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Please see photos...I installed from the first link you provided, then ran the Intel Driver Support Assistance scan, how strange with its response-Sorry no update driver were found????

How do I know i now running the right driver for processor???

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all (I guess I should have said this right at the beginning), there are no drivers for the processor; they are all for the chipset. You can see what devices were enumerated by looking in the motherboard resources section of Device Manager. As well, I can see that the enumeration is good; the unknown devices are the usual ones that are resolved by separate driver packages.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Driver and Support Assistant does not support systems as old as yours. It will not be able to identify missing or out-of-date drivers on your system.

...S

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Scott,

So, with yr professional experience, it seems status OK, ? Please confirm,

Thank you....& BTW, thanks for the "points award"...honestly i don't know what i have done "right" that got the award points from you,...but thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos