Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

BAD THERMAL SENSOR OR BAD IHS 4970K?

DRIDD
Beginner

I recently upgraded one of the Haswell computers in the studio with an i7 4970k -- I was surprised and disappointed with the thermal performance of this batch of cpu's -- I am using a 4U Supermicro Heatsink (I use this on all 12 machines I manage at the studio)

I thought these issues could come down to these factors -

-Bad thermal paste application

-Improper heatsink mounting (not enough contact/pressure)

-Motherboard feeding too much voltage to chip

-Bad thermal sensor in the CPU

-BAD IHS in the CPU --

I feel like I can safely determine that thermal grease and heatsink pressure are fine- though when doing stress testing I am surprised how little the heatsink 'gets warm' [which is why at first I assumed the issue was the transfer of heat from the top of the CPU package to the heatsink plate] -

Trying to lower voltages in the MOBO Bios caused the machine not to POST

I am asking whether there are known issues with this chip's internal temp sensor or the application of thermal compound between the die and the 'cap' -

I understand this chip is powerful with incredible power density, therefore it will get hot quick - but I am running into 'thermal runaway' when doing stress testing. Any thoughts on these issues --

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You updated a Haswell to a Haswell refresh processor. On boards that support this processor, you must be at a bios level that supports the refresh processor.

Just because it is socket compatible, does not mean it is supported on your board.

Does your board actually support this processor?

If so, are you at the proper bios level?

Doc

0 Kudos
DRIDD
Beginner

It is indeed supported as per the manual states - Biostar z87 3d HiFI Ver 5.x

And I have the latest bios -- perhaps I should re-flash the bios just for solidarity

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You may want to review this:

Doc

0 Kudos