Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

BSOD i9-9900K

Cream_
Beginner

Hi, i build my pc few months ago and since then i encountered many bsod's in different intervals, for some time, like month it was all okay but then it returned again, upon viewing minibump of whea uncorrectable error, it refered at first to msi and corsair rgb software, so i uninstalled msi software and then on startup ended all icue(corsair) processes, helped for like 2 days then it came back, now if i look into mini dumb i can only see as source GenuineIntel and process system.

Processor: i9-9900k stock clocked

MB: MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

RAM: Corsair RGB VENGANCE pro clocked to 3.2 via xmp 2.0 4x8GB

GPU: MSI Gaming Z RTX2070

I ran multiple RAM tests, stress tested cpu and gpu, no problems occured, it seems to happen more likely if pc is not under load, almost idle, like reading mail or when im afk, would like some tips where can be problem

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are having WHEA errors, there is something physically wrong. Most of the time, this is the result of bad DIMM(s), but it could be a problem in the motherboard or in the processor's memory controllers. For starters, I would test your system with other DIMMs and see if this alleviates the issue. Note that passing a MemTest86/MemTest86+ test DOES NOT GUARANTEE that there is not an issue with your DIMMs.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Cream_
Beginner

Well i don't have any secondary DDR4 modules, any other options ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Honestly, it likely would be more cost-effective (considering time = money) to purchase (or find someplace to borrow) alternate memory. The alternative to this is to take this system to a repair shop and have them do a thorough test with known-good memory.

If you really want to do this yourself, using the memory that you have, you have a *lot* of work ahead of you. Follow this algorithm:

1. Remove all DIMMs from the board.
  2. Install one DIMM into the Channel A DIMM 1 slot.
  3. Power on and test for however long is necessary to guarantee that you would have seen a failure if it was going to occur.
  4. If you see a failure, this tells you that the DIMM currently in the system may be bad.
  5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 with each of the other DIMMs.
  6. If you saw failures with only one DIMM, then you know this DIMM is definitely bad. Get it replaced.
  7. If you saw failures with all of the DIMMs, then you know that either the processor or the motherboard is bad. The only way to determine which is to replace one of them. If you can, get the motherboard replaced (it should be easier). If you can't do that, contact Intel Customer Support directly (you can't do it here) to discuss RMA replacements of this processor.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Cream_
Beginner

I mean obv, but u saying that it's reporting me as an issue cpu, it's only like once per 3 days and only when pc is idle, that it's still prpbly memory ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, I am saying that that is a remote possibility. I would add that there is a possibility that it is software (a bad driver), but WHEA errors are usually as a result of hardware issues. Can a hardware issue exist that is this intermittent? Absolutely! I have seen temperature-related failures that could go months before occurring again.

...S

0 Kudos