Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

BSOD with i3 7100.

LBarb2
Beginner

Hi everyone, I'm having BSOD with my new i3 7100 on a B150 motherboard, but it's almost random, mostly occurs when I'm playing The Witcher 3 but already occurs in normal use but it's very rare.

I'm using a fresh instalation of Windows 10 and updated, all drivers updated, BIOS updated. About 9 hours of torture test on Prime 95 and nothing happens, max temperature of 64º celcius, a few hours of MemTest86 and no errors, no errors on HD accused by HDTune and a software by Western Digital.

On the BSOD screen I already got two diferent codes, CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

In previous research all indicates me for a driver or processor problem, so I could use some help to find out the cause, software or really a hardware problem. If it's hardware I could request warranty since I got it last month.

Full specs of my pc:

i3 7100 + Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

MSI B150m Mortar

8gb Kingston Furyx (single stick)

Gigabyte GTX 650 TI BOOST 2gb

XFX PRO 450w core edition PSU

Western Digital 500gb HD

A report from WhoCrashed.

On Tue 25/07/2017 23:41:10 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072517-27718-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x395CF)

Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF9B8F357EF028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

So... I'll be glad if it's possible for someone help me .

Sorry for any gramatic error.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Lenullix,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are getting BSOD. Please try the following and let me know how it goes:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10, this will load the basic drivers for your computer to work, if you keep on getting BSOD, most likely it is a hardware issue.

Please also check the RAM frequency in the BIOS is set to 2133MHz or 2400MHz (if DDR4), if DDR3L, please make sure it is set to 1333MHz or 1600Mhz.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.
LBarb2
Beginner

In safe mode worked just fine, after that I tried some things and found that its probably a driver for usb 3.0/3.1 (intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller) that maybe it's not working correctly, on intel's website says that it's native for windows 10 so don't have a installer for download. There is some way that i can reinstall/repair this driver?

My RAM frequency is 2133MHz.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lenullix,

What you can do is open Device Manager and click on the button for "Scan for hardware changes", or restart the computer. This should allow Windows® 10 to detect the USB 3/3.1 ports and install the missing driver.

If this doesn't work (you keep on getting BSOD) I recommend the following:
  • Remove the video card and test the Intel® HD Graphics, if no issues, please reinstall the video card.
  • Try to repair the OS.
  • Contact the motherboard manufacturer because we have ruled out the processor with the previous steps.
I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
idata
Employee

Hi Lenullix,

I was wondering if you were able to repair the operating system or reinstall external video card drivers.

Allan J.
LBarb2
Beginner

Last week I tried another clean install of windows 10 and the USB 3.0 started to work, not properly (sometimes it recognize my external hd, sometimes don't), but the BSOD has stoped, nothing until now.

The USB ports work fine when I connect a 2.0 device, so I will test another 3.0 device to check if the problem it's not my external HD.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lenullix,

Thank you for taking the time and update this thread.

Glad to hear the BSOD has stopped. In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lenullix,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you had the chance to test different USB devices.

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
LBarb2
Beginner

Yes, I tested and still not working on the motherboard ports, only in the frontal one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lenullix,

It is sad to hear this is still not working for you. I recommend contacting the board maker for a possible hardware problem with the USB ports. Check the link below for contact information at MSI.

https://www.msi.com/support/ https://www.msi.com/support/

Hope it helps.

Allan J.
0 Kudos