Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Base Frequency and Turbo Boost

Bacel
Novice

Greetings to All,

I have a Laptop with Core I5 8250U CPU (1.6 GHz Base Frequency and 3.6 GHz Turbo Boost Frequency).

Usually when I am using my device the turbo boost is activated normally but when I try to run an Android Emulator via Android Studio the frequency is reduced to the base frequency.

Is it possible to enable Turbo Boost while running an Emulator?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bacel
Novice
Hello again,
I hadn't have any issue. I think that this kind of process can operates only at the base processor frequency and turbo boost feature in this case is not applicable.
Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Bacel, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Are you using any apps to see if turbo boost is enabled? Let me know how are you looking at these specifications. 

Also, it is important for you to know that if turbo boost is enabled in the BIOS, it will always be working when it is needed. If the tasks that the system is performing do not require turbo boost, this means it will not be used, and by doing that it will lower power consumption and heat. 

In case you are not sure if turbo boost is enabled in your system, please contact the laptop manufacturer and check with them the option in the BIOS, 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Bacel
Novice
Thank you Josue for your reply.
I am monitoring the CPU Frequency using the task manager and MSI Afterburner software. Both are showing the frequency at the base frequency when I run the emulator. Also this issue happens when I use Hyper-V or other virtual machine servers.
Turbo Boost is enabled in the BIOS and usually works normally without virtual machines running.
Is it possible to adjust the frequency manually to keep it at the same frequency that turbo boost reachs?
Thank you
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Bacel, 

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, we do not recommend manually changing the frequency of the processor since this could provoke issues or damage to the component. 

Please also let me know if you have gotten any issues like freezing, BSOD, shutdowns, or similar when using the system. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Bacel
Novice
Hello again,
I hadn't have any issue. I think that this kind of process can operates only at the base processor frequency and turbo boost feature in this case is not applicable.
Thanks
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Bacel, 

You are very welcome, I am glad to hear that you hadn’t experienced any issues. 

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Bacel, 

Since you have already marked a solution on this thread will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos