Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Base frequency vs L2 Cache vs number of cores

Sunesh
Beginner

Base frequency of Core 2 Quad Q8400 is 2.66 Giga Hertz and has 4 cores,  Whereas L2 Cache is 4 MB.

Base frequency of Core 2 Duo E8500 is 3.16 Giga Hertz and has 2 cores. Whereas L2 Cache is 6 MB.

For a task which require only 2 cores which of the above 2 processors will perform quicker and why ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Sunesh,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.  

Due to these products being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

Regards,

Victor G. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sunesh
Beginner

Respected sir,

First of all thanks for the reply.  

I agree that the products are discontinued. But the question  is of science rather than the individual product. Even today's  microprocessors run on similar principles. Today more advanced technology may have been introduced but the principles remain unchanged.

So my question can be answered by anyone who is involved with current technology products also. My question is of science like base frequency, number of cores, L2 Cache memory which are there in current microprocessors also.

Thanks and Regards,

Sunesh

0 Kudos