Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Best processor i7 7700HQ vs i7 8550U?

AAleo
Beginner

Hi,

I'm an electrical engineering student and I wanted to buy a new notebook for university use but also for everyday life. I use the PC to start quite heavy programs like Matlab and Simulink, Autocad but also to create and read Excel and Word files, Power Point presentations and open various Chrome pages. I wanted to know from the most experienced, based on the use that I intend to do, what is the best processor between i7 7700HQ and i7 8550U?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Both will work for you, with the i7-7700HQ requiring less power.

Both will require you to use Windows 10, and nothing lower

Both are soldered to the motherboard, so you will not be able to replace them later should you fall in love with another processor.

You can compare both here: https://ark.intel.com/compare/122589,97185 Intel® Product Specification Comparison

Personally, I would buy a laptop that supported dual/switchable graphics for the work you will be doing. Get something with an nvidia or amd graphics processor so you will not be dependent on Intel graphics alone. You will be glad you did.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAleo
Beginner

Hi,

if you had to choose, which one would you buy? Would you buy i7 7700HQ?

0 Kudos
Jwal
Novice

You wouldn't buy the i7-7700HQ just yet, If you haven't bought it already I would suggest you don't. The new 8th gen H series is just round the corner

0 Kudos