Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Blue Screen of Death after Enabling Intel Turbo boost in Main Board BIOS

MNR
Beginner

I have an Intel Core i7 6700 CPU plus Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H and G, SKILL DDR 4 2400 2x4G memories, recently I got the Blue Screen of Death error and tried to change memories several times by several brands, but still have the problem, yesterday by disabling the Intel Turbo boost in Main Board BIOS I found the problem is gone! I tried another new i7 6700 with enabled Intel Turbo boost on my Main Board and same memory, but I didn't see any problem, so my Question is, what exactly happened to my CPU and is there any problem with my CPU?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MNR, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

For how long have you been using the Intel® Core™ i7-6700?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Do you see any error code when getting the BSOD?

You mentioned you tested different memory RAM's, please provide the part number or model of them so we can verify the specifications and make sure they are the proper ones.

It is hard to tell for sure what happened to the Intel® Core™ i7-6700 processor, depending on the usage given to the processor, the environment where the unit is working, as well as the components inside the computer they all could be the source for a failure of the processor.

Depending on the physical memory installed in a computer, the system is prone to instability. By setting memory parameters to default values in BIOS, the system can become stable and prevent Blue Screens of Death.

If the issue persists after using BIOS default settings, we recommend performing these steps:

• Check the memory RAM for errors.
  • Check if the memory is being overclocked. Using Intel® Extreme Memory Profiles (Intel® XMP) may cause system instability.
  • Monitor the temperature with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. If this tool reports high temperatures, then the problem could be related to the cooling solution installed on the computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
  • If using a video card, make sure it is not factory overclocked. If so, try disabling any overclocking or auto-tuning feature and see if the problem persists.

It is worth mentioning that receiving a BSOD is most likely related to a hardware problem. Booting the system with the minimum components is recommended to determine whether faulty hardware causing this behavior, try to test the PC using the very basic configuration, with just one memory RAM stick at the time with each stick on each memory slot to confirm if the problem remains.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MNR, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
MNR
Beginner

Hey, Thanks for your response, i guess that the problem was from my power supply, yesterday i tried to check my PC with new power supply and until now i did not see any problem! maybe the v,core voltage was unstable! i will put my PC under test for 2 or 3 days more to see what happen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MNR, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

It is great to hear that so far the Intel® NUC is working properly with a different power supply.

Take your time to test the unit and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MNR, I just wanted to check if you were able to do the tests and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MNR, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos