Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Blue screen only when Inter Turbo boost is enabled

Prexay
Beginner

Hello. Recently i have been dealing with Blue screening problems for the past almost 4 months now. After bringing my computer in to Geek Squad it seems that i've really gone nowhere. After doing some experimenting myself at home i realized that when the turbo boost is enabled in BIOS, after running the intel diagnostics tool it will blue screen. So to put it in short, whenever turbo boost is enabled, the tool with pass and say that everything is fine, but around 3 seconds later it blue screens. When i tried turning it off, the problem went away. I turned it back on and ran the test again, and blue screen. Before i figured this out i thought my ram was bad because i ran memtest86, and it indicated that 3/4 of my ram sticks were bad and 2 of them are literally brand new because i thought my old ones were toast. So, after i figured this out, i tested all 4 of my sticks again with the turbo boost off, and all came back with 0 errors and ran through all 4 passes. I currently have unbuilt my pc because i need to RMA my motherboard again because it came back with bent pins from MSI, but so far i have - replaced HDD, replaced MOBO, replaced RAM. After figuring out it could've possibly had been the turbo boost causing the errors, my PC ran fine the next day until I unbuilt it. So as of now i don't know if it is a permanent fix or not but all i can really think of is maybe i need to crank the voltage up? or maybe its overheating? These are things i will be able to test when i get my motherboard back, but in the mean time does anyone have any advice to give for this? Is it normal or should i contact intel directly? The PC is literally only a year old and everything ran completely fine for the first 7 months i had it then one day i just started blue screening. Let me hear what you guys have to say, i'd really appreciate it. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

• Processor model number 
  • Motherboard's brand and model number 
  • BIOS version 
  • RAM memory  

Also, you can wait until you have your PC running back, run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU), and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

Additionally, please answer the following questions: 

• Did you overclock your CPU? 
  • Do you remember using the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)? If yes, which profile did you use? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Prexay
Beginner

Hi Sebastian!

Processor model number is BX80684I79700K.
I do not currently have the motherboard with me since i am getting it RMA'd(long story) But i have a MSI MPG z390 Gaming Edge AC. (Cannot tell you the BIOS as well as i don't have the MOBO with me at the moment.
I have TridentZ 3200Mhz 16gb 2x 8gb.

I do not overclock anything in my computer except before all this happened and it was only the XMP profile on my RAM. 
I do not remember using the XMP for my processor, if thats how it works? I only noticed that the turbo boost was running when looking through BIOS but i can only imagine that it was turned on by default when i built the computer months ago. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Prexay,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Victor G. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay,  

Thank you for your reply. 

In that case, we will be waiting until you receive the new motherboard to see if that fixes the issue. 

On the other hand, I can see that you mentioned you used XMP. Your Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Processor supports a memory speed of up to 2666MHz, check that here under Memory Specifications. If your XMP profile had the memory running at a higher frequency, this is considered overclocking.  

Based on the above, chances are that running the system out of specifications could have damaged the CPU. Please keep in mind that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of system and components for additional details. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay,  

Do you have an update on this by any chance? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M

0 Kudos
Prexay
Beginner

Hi Sebastian! I do not yet have an update. My motherboard should arrive here monday and i will hook it up to see if i can look through some stuff, hopefully will get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay,   

Thank you for your reply. 

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you, once you have more information to share please feel free to let us know.

Regards,   

Sebastian M 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay,    

Have you been able to do the missing testing? If you need a specific time frame, please let us know.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Prexay,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. Hopefully, the assistance provided by your motherboard manufacturer fixed the issue. 

If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos