Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Broken factory seal: Automatically return it or a sign of low quality tape?

DRose5
Beginner

Ordered an i7-7820 from a reputable online seller over Black Friday weekend. I opened the box this morning, and it was immediately apparent that the Intel factory seal was broken (see pictures). How often does this happen?

I have not opened the box as a result. The last time I purchased a CPU was 7 years ago so it's been a while but there are multiple forum discussions regarding counterfeit CPUs or used/broken CPUs which people patch up and return, passing off as new.

The writing on the surface of the CPU matches the label on the outside of the box and there doesn't appear to be any surface damage to the CPU when looking through the window.

I just wasn't sure if I should move forward with opening the box and trying it out since everything else states that the factory seal is critical even though the factory seal sticker appears to be a relatively insecure means of securing the box. It's really disheartening to invest the time and money researching and then purchasing the parts for a new machine only to receive products that could have been better secured in the first place.

Please advise as I am anxious to get this project started!

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This looks like the film just came loose to me. My opinion: I wouldn't take any chances. At least call the seller and discuss it with them. Make sure that they will replace it if you find any issues when you install and test it. To test it, use the Processor test programs that Intel provides.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This looks like the film just came loose to me. My opinion: I wouldn't take any chances. At least call the seller and discuss it with them. Make sure that they will replace it if you find any issues when you install and test it. To test it, use the Processor test programs that Intel provides.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DRose5
Beginner

Thanks Scott. I did try to do that before I posted here but their customer service wasn't open. I sent an email with photos which went unanswered. However, this morning I was able to chat with them, and secured their promise that I could return it if something goes awry.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos