Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Build or run Mac Catalyst apps on Intel Mac?

imliwiese27
Beginner

I have successfully built an app using Mac Catalyst. It runs on iPhone, iPad, and M1 Macs, and is available now in the App stores as "Designed for iPad". So far, so good. But it's not available for Intel-Based Macs, and I haven't been able to build a version that will run on Intel.

Is this possible? If so, how do i do it? And with regard to the App store, If I do it can I update my exciting app to include the intel-capable version, or does that have to be separate purchase. 

I am using Xcode 13.2.1 on macOS 12.0.1 (Monterey) on an M1 MacBook. I also have an Intel-based MacBook I can use for testing and even building if necessary.

I've been through all the Apple and third-party doc I can find, but couldn't find anything useful. Grateful for any advice!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @imliwiese27

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible with more details or to route to the proper channel of support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello imliwiese27

After reviewing this further, our recommendation is to contact Apple* for support since this is regarding Apple* systems and the developer tool is also theirs, therefore, there could be limitations to work with Intel components that you will need to review with their support. For your convenience, here is the general link to Apple* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
imliwiese27
Beginner

Please take a look this info that i found recently: There are two slightly different things here. Catalyst lets you build iOS apps to run on Mac; This is a specific build process that uses your iOS source code to make an app that is made available in the Mac App Store. Catalyst apps run on both intel and M1. With an M1 Mac you can run any iOS app that hasn't been specifically excluded from doing so be the developer. These are iOS apps from the iOS App Store. This is only available for M1 Macs.

0 Kudos