Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

CPU 1 - CPUFreq - Fail.

cfosnock
Beginner

I put together a new system and it periodically reboots. I ran diags and it fails the CPUFreq test (it also fails the BrandString test). I got a replacement motherboard on the way, but now I'm not sure if it's the CPU that is bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, current versions of the Intel Processor Diagnostic Temp program do not work well with the 12th gen processors regardless, so don't blame the processor for that. 

Are these spontaneous resets? Your Windows eventlog dump would seem to indicate that this is the case. Spontaneous resets can occur due to serious errors in drivers or because of hardware problems. Having bad/incompatible/overclocked memory is the most common hardware problem. I have also seen these happen a time or two with failing NVMe SSDs - and yes, it was bad Samsung SSDs that I saw this occur with.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
cfosnock
Beginner

Thank you. Yes they are spontaneous resets. A little background, I initially thought I had bad memory but I was able to properly configure the MOBO, to overclock the memory, and it now passes it's MemTest86 with flying colors. The SSD is new, but I can't rule it out, but as that was the first time it appeared in the event log (normally I get a blank statement), and it looks good in Magician.  I honed in on the MOBO. I initially assumed I had a configuration issue similar to the memory, so I disabled all overclocking (CPU and Memory). The system still spontaneous reset.  The MOBO 30 day  warranty/return was almost up,  so I ordered a replacement. But while I was waiting for the replacement MOBO, I decided to rule-out the CPU, and here we are. Thank you for letting me know that the Intel Processor Diagnostic Temp program does not work well with the 12th gen processors. I thought that might be the case but you never know, and I would hate to replace a MOBO only to discover it was the CPU. Thank you again you have been a great help.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello cfosnock,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

If I may interrupt here, I would like to know if you are still having the issue, and if you need further assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello cfosnock,

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos