Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

CPU I7 10750H Throttling on low temperatures.

GoldenFlames
Beginner

Hello,

I am having problems with my I7 10750H processor. I currently am using a MSI GS75, which is a laptop. Normally this CPU model can go up to 100 degrees celcius, however it has been throttling lately in the low 70's. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you running only on battery?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner
0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner

Oh, and here is a picture I took, might help (even if I know XTU only supports K CPUs).

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ah, the plot thickens.  All bets are off if you are using XTU on an unsupported processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner

Well, no other software gives this much information about my processor as XTU does, so I just happen to use it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Let's not unnecessarily rathole this discussion. Using XTU has absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
Seeing throttling at lower temperature levels is an indication that the processor is being throttled for another reason.
This could be occuring because an external entity on the motherboard is asserting PROCHOT signal to request processor throttling. For example (but not only possibility), the VRM could be signaling that the VR circuitry is overheating.
This could also occur because of an internal issue. For example (again not only possibility), it could be occurring because too much voltage is being requested by the processor.
To determine which is occurring, try using an app like ThrottleStop.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner

Hello and thank you for your answer. I have been using multiple monitoring softwares such as: Dragon Center, XTU, ThrottleStop, and afterburner, because some happen just to stop working sometimes (I don't know why haha). Yesterday, in Throttlestop, I disabled BD PROCHOT, Speedstep and C1E and I have seen a very minor improvment, but it still throttles. Oh and, I have applied a -1.25w undervoltage because this 10th gen CPU happens to become very hot, very quickly under moderate load, I don't know if this helps. 

0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner

Last thing I will add, is that when the CPU throttles, I see on Throttlestop's interface BD PRO, written in red. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello GoldenFlames,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I was checking your post and I was wondering if you need further assistance on this matter?

• Have you performed any additional troubleshooting on your side?
  • Do you notice any improvement in the laptop behavior?

In case you need further support please provide the following:

To check the processor integrity please Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a.txt file.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello GoldenFlames

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
GoldenFlames
Beginner

Hello and thank you for your answer. The computer seems to have fixed itself, however I hope that nothing will happen in the future, because I've got to say, playing every game with 3 FPS is far from enjoyable :).

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello GoldenFlames,

Thank you so much for the update.

I’m glad to know that your computer is working as expected now.

As the issue is gone, I will proceed with the closure of this inquiry.

However, feel free to post a new question in case you need further assistance.

Please consider that his thread is no longer being monitored by Intel.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos