Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.20GHz underclocked to 800Khz

Filipspx
Beginner

Hello i have problem with my CPU. It underclock yourself from 32x 100KHz to 8x 100KHz.

I know its somethink like energy-save mode, but i turn that off in bios and on motherboard.

Sometimes my CPU working normylly on PC start and the whole day, sometimes my CPU underclock and working on 800KHz even for as long as two or three days.

It may bo problem with motherboard, system, or CPU.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Ram: Kingston 2x 8GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

System: Windows 10 pro

Thanks

Filipspx

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, first of all, this is NOT underclocking. Underclocking is a lowering of the base system clock, which is definitely NOT occurring. Based upon the performance graph, it looks like you are seeing some throttling being invoked. This means either a temperature issue or a power issue. For temperature issues, I suggest that you run a tool that will collect temperature data over time and then run the game. For power throttling, this is almost-exclusively based upon the configuration of the BIOS, so you may need to contact your board/system vendor for more assistance.

For us to continue looking at this, we need more information. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This is because your processor does not support over or under clocking.  To do that, you need to have an X or K processor.  If you are using XTU, it does not support your processor.

0 Kudos
Filipspx
Beginner

Hello, 

I know my CPU does not support over and under clocking.

I dont want to over or under clock it neither.

My CPU just underclock themself to 8KHz, and shreded my FPS and my PC speed into void.

If i play game(example: League Of Legends) normally on 150-200 FPS and my CPU underclock to 8KHz my FPS drops on like 1-5 FPS.

In Task Manager my CPU is busy on 22% and speeh have 0.79GHZ (8KHz).

And i dont want this state.

I know my English is not too good and my first post is a bit confusing

Thanks

Filipspx

0 Kudos
Filipspx
Beginner

I uploaded file with problem, i was lucky i catch the drop of FPS.

You can see that i have only 8FPS in game and procesor goes on 0.8GHz.

Sometimes it repait itself to 3.2GHz, sometimes not.

Restart PC dont do enythink with this if i turn PC off when it have 0.8GHz, after start it have 0.8GHz.

Thanks

Filipspx

0 Kudos
whoopsiesz
Beginner

Hi. Can you also show the CPU and other temperatures ? You can use Intel XTU or hwmonitor64, hwinfo64 etc. to get the temperatures...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, first of all, this is NOT underclocking. Underclocking is a lowering of the base system clock, which is definitely NOT occurring. Based upon the performance graph, it looks like you are seeing some throttling being invoked. This means either a temperature issue or a power issue. For temperature issues, I suggest that you run a tool that will collect temperature data over time and then run the game. For power throttling, this is almost-exclusively based upon the configuration of the BIOS, so you may need to contact your board/system vendor for more assistance.

For us to continue looking at this, we need more information. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos