Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

CPU Overheat or maybe just unusually speed?

TKhov
Beginner

I had a DELL laptop with Intel Core I5 7200U @2.5 GHz. But when starting up the computer, the CPU speed goes to 3.0 GHz+ which not make any sound. And when run a game which it goes up to 3.1 GHz+. But the CPU's utilization goes high up to 60%. Is it ok? And his happen after install another 4 GB ram to the old laptop to get 8 GB. And the laptop had been used 2 years.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So, what is the problem?

What version of Windows 10 are you using?

Go to start, settings, system, about to get the version information at the bottom of the page.

Doc

0 Kudos
TKhov
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, that is not the version.

Go to start, settings, system, about to get the version information at the bottom of the page. It will be some number like 1803, 1809, 1903, etv.

Doc

0 Kudos
TKhov
Beginner

Last version of windows. I don't know what version is it but I use Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant to update windows to the last version.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Or, you could simply go to:

START

SETTINGS

SYSTEM

ABOUT

and get the correct answer. It is not that difficult.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @TKhov​ ,

1. Download and install Intel System Support Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  2. Run the test and you will see if the CPU works as should be.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, this is all perfectly fine. This is simply the Turbo Boost feature taking some/all of the cores to higher clock speeds​ based on current workload, temperature, etc.

...S

0 Kudos