Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

CPU Temperature spikes

dpstilson
Beginner

I have a 11th Gen i7-11700k processor in an Asus Z590-A MB, Temp was 75 deg. C with Cooling tower never varied from 70 to 75 deg. C. Replaced it with Karaken water cooled unit, did 5 way Optimization per Asus AI, no difference for 4 days.  On the 5th day as I watched the system went from 75C to 60 to 45 to 30 deg. C, has been at this point for 4 weeks 30 deg. Idle 40 max gaming, fans at times 500 rpm or less.  Yesterday found system temp at 76-80 degrees C, fans at 1800+ rpms, the heat exchanger was hot, no change in 5-Way Optimization.  Today temp at 65C at Idle.  Can someone tell me what the blank is going on with my CPU? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dpstilson
Beginner

Just figured it out my self, Bionic was the problem, it set it self up at 100% usage, was causing the wild swings in temperature.  I have reset it to 75% max and the temperature dropped  to between 50/60C.  I found it by accident while doing something else in task manager and researched what period search application did, that explained the Bionic was using too many cores and to much CPU time, and I adjusted it accordingly. 

Thank you for responding to my question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello dpstilson,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to let you know that when the system is idle, the temperature of the processor is not as high as when the system is running a workload. Having temperature spikes, or having high or maximum temperature while running a workload (such as games) isn't necessarily cause for concern. Also, the temperature consider as overheating is 100°C and any temperature under that is considered as expected.

However, In order to help you further, please provide the following:

1. Have you received a blue screen of death?

2. Did your computer shut down due to overheating?

3. Where did you monitor the temperatures? Can you send pictures of the temperatures? 

Regards,     

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
dpstilson
Beginner

Just figured it out my self, Bionic was the problem, it set it self up at 100% usage, was causing the wild swings in temperature.  I have reset it to 75% max and the temperature dropped  to between 50/60C.  I found it by accident while doing something else in task manager and researched what period search application did, that explained the Bionic was using too many cores and to much CPU time, and I adjusted it accordingly. 

Thank you for responding to my question.