Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

CPU Usage

Vxlki
Beginner

I have an Intel Core i7-8550U on my HP laptop and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2gb VRAM. I recently changed my windows and since then it has some FPS drops in games like Valorant, League of Legends, Forza Horizon 4. When I started FH4 I had like 40-50 FPS once and when I closed and opened the game again it reached 80 FPS. In LOL and Valorant it suddenly drops from 120-140 FPS to 40-50-60. CPU and GPU usage is a little bit over 50%. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and my CPU8 Usage is pretty high, like 80-90 constantly and the rest of CPUs' usage is lower. Is this caused by the windows? Because I think I downloaded all the drivers I needed. Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Changed your Windows?

Something is using the processor, but that is normal for windows.  Plus, some other S/W is using the processor. 

Whatever the case, not a processor issue.

0 Kudos
Vxlki
Beginner

But why does it use the processor more than before? And why do I have FPS drops? I thought of changing the Windows again. Maybe an error has occurred during the procces. Any advice?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Again, what do you mean "changing windows"?

Look, something is utilizing your processor.  Look in the task manager and see what is using the CPU.  Check if your anti-virus is the culprit (which probably will not reveal itself in the task manager).  What startups do you have? 

You have to determine what is using those cycles.

0 Kudos
Vxlki
Beginner

By changing Windows I mean deleting everything I have on laptop. At this moment my CPU is between 10-15% and it's used by Discord, Microsoft Edge and other services from Windows, of course. It's nothing special. When I have that FPS drops, neither CPU nor GPU is overused. They both remain on 50% usage. And as I said, with MSI Afterburner only the 8th core was overused (80-90%).

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
Vxlki
Beginner

I uploaded them yesterday and today I noticed nothing has been replied to you. I'm sorry for waiting. Here are the informations.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can get more details about this issue, please provide the following: 

• Can you confirm is this happened after you updated, or reinstalled/restored, etc, Windows (your Operating System)? Please clarify this.  
  • Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 
  • Provide a screenshot of the MSI* Afterburner showing the CPU8 having a high usage while gaming.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Vxlki
Beginner

Yes, I can confirm that this problem occurred after I reinstalled my Windows. Now I have even more problem with it. When I shut it down everything is fine and if I start it again, a message will appear with the text: 'Your computer has been shut down due to overheating' or something like that. 'Press enter to boot normally'. And it always shows this, eventhought it hasn't been shut down by windows, it was by me.

Now, in games the GPU is overused as well! I don't know how this happened but now my GPU is 100% used as well as the CPU8. Here are the information and screenshot from MSI Afterburner.

Eventhought the GPU is 100% used I noticed there were like 200 FPS in game.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Based on the result of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it seems that the CPU is working with no problems. As the problem appeared after a Windows reinstallation, chances are that the problem is in the Operating System (OS) side: 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Vxlki
Beginner

I am trying my best to do what you advised me in that previous post. I will be back with updates.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki,   

Thanks for the update. 

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you, once you have an update; please share it on this thread. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki,  

Do you have an update on this by any chance? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Vxlki,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos