Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

CPU WITH 256GB+ RAM LIMIT,NEW,LESS THAN $1000,X86. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

1ta
Beginner

CPU WITH 256GB+ RAM LIMIT,NEW,LESS THAN $1000,X86.

I WANT TO BELIEVE. 

CPU%20WITH%20256GB%2B%20RAM%20LIMIT%2CNEW%2CLESS%20THAN%20%241000%2CX86.%20I%20WANT%20TO%20BELIEVE

CPU WITH 256GB+ RAM LIMIT,NEW,LESS THAN $1000,X86.

I WANT TO BELIEVE. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
1ta
Beginner

Also, if anyone knows how to insert an image with code-only, without having to use the "Insert Photos" thing, or how to view the message being edited in plain-text, instead of the text and graphics hybrid, as I'm having trouble finding it, that would be cool too. 

Also, I know Intel and AMD have HEDT CPU's that go to 256GB with their Core Extreme and Ryzen ThreadRipper HEDT CPU's, but Intel seems to have dropped out of it, and even old ThreadRipper was prohibitively expensive, and new ThreadRipper is apparently getting more and more prohibitively expensive. 

I don't mind if Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc have a RAM limit of 4TB, 8TB, 16TB, 32TB, 64TB+, or whatever. 

I would just like to see RAM limits advance faster. 

I am especially disappointed that the Intel Core i9-12900K, with the introduction of DDR5, still has a 128GB RAM limit, even though there were rumors of a 256GB RAM limit. I am disappointed. To be honest. 

So, it would be nice if Intel or AMD would move the RAM limit to over 256GB+ for their more main-stream CPU's. 

I mean, these CPU's are $700+, I don't think it's that much to ask for. 

Hopefully we'll see the RAM limit advance. 

Anyway, I hope this helps. 

Take care.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Those capabilities have an impact in budget for companies... Why "increase" CPU market price to have so high RAM capabilities if more of the end users won't get such amount of RAM?

Someone needing 128GB+ RAM probably is doing special tasks, mostly on Enterprise, Scientific, research, etc environments... and for that, you have already the Server (Xeon) line...

That's why companies like Intel and AMD have different products with different capabilities, for different markets (different type of customers)

Megan ❤

0 Kudos
1ta
Beginner

@megan3000 wrote:

Those capabilities have an impact in budget for companies... Why "increase" CPU market price to have so high RAM capabilities if more of the end users won't get such amount of RAM?

Someone needing 128GB+ RAM probably is doing special tasks, mostly on Enterprise, Scientific, research, etc environments... and for that, you have already the Server (Xeon) line...

That's why companies like Intel and AMD have different products with different capabilities, for different markets (different type of customers)

Megan ❤

So people can spend less on CPU's and get mroe RAM. You don't have to increase the price, it's a lower price, that's the point. Why does a celeron let you have 128GB of RAM? Because why not?

Maybe not. Or they open up a bunch of google chrome tabs. Or has a lot of programs open. Anyone can use up a lot of RAM. Xeon is too expensive and not for videogames, hence the point of raising the maximkum RAM in the main-stream Core line, and stuff. And even Celeron line, apparently.

Yeah, and I just said that Xeon and EPYC ETC. can have 4TB+, 8TB+, 16TB+, or whatever, and that's fine.

It would be nice to have the RAM increase on less expensive CPU's. 

Not to mention, if Intel or AMD want to have an advantage over eachother, they can say they support a higher amount of RAM on their mains-stream CPU's, and stuff. 

Again, Intel Core i9-12900KF and Intel Celeron G5900 both have a 128GZB RAM limit.

I'm sure increasing it to 256GB woudn't be out of the question.

Also, again, Intel and AMD have their Extreme and ThreadRipper CPU's, but they're prohibitively expensive.

AMD's newest ThreadRipper cost about $2800, $3990, $5489. And this is 3rd Gen, so, maybe, AMD won't make ThreadRipper HEDT anymore.

Intel's newest Extreme cost over $1000, and Intel hasn't made a new HEDT for years now.

Believe it or not, not everyone can afford to pay over $1000 for over a CPU.

Yet, may still need, or it would be nice to have 256GB+ of RAM.

1ta 

0 Kudos
1ta
Beginner

I made another picture. 

NEW%20CPU%20256GB%20RAM%2C%20%EF%BC%9E%241000.%20I%20WANT%20TO%20BELIEVE

Enjoy. 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello 1ta,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

We will like to know if you need our assistance on this matter, please let us know how we can help you.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello 1ta,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos