Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

CPU and RAM Warranty

Tuxa
Beginner

Hello,

I've recently decided to upgrade my motherboard from an AsRock B250M Pro4 to either a 

Asus STRIX Z270H GAMING ATX Motherboard 

or

Asus STRIX Z270F GAMING ATX Motherboard

I've noticed that my AsRock B250M Pro4 Motherboard is capping my DDR4 16GB RAM at a speed of 2400MHz. So, I've decided to get one of the listed motherboards above which has much higher potential speeds. However, my processor (an i7-7700k) and has listed Memory Types:

DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3-1333/1600

I researched XMP profiling and am unclear as to whether setting my new motherboards RAM speed to the cap of my RAMs actual speed will void warranty of my processor.

One more thing, as my processor is an i7-7700k and has a base frequency of 4.2GHz will turning this up at all void warranty? Or can I turn it up as long as it remains in range of the Max Turbo Frequency? 4.5GHz.

Thanks for reading this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Tuxa,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I was checking your post and I understand that you have some concerns regarding the Intel Warranty for the products under those scenarios.

I would like to inform you the following:

As you may know the use of XMP profiles is the load of a predefined profile through your operating system, using the BIOS or using a specific tuning application. In order to get more information about the existing/supported profiles you would need to confirm that with your motherboard manufacturer.

As you say, the according to the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K technical specifications, this processor supports a DDR4-2133/2400 memory frequency.

The use of any XMP profile that exceeds the supported and tested RAM frequency for the processor would be considered overclocking, and will ultimately void the CPU warranty. As altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance.

To answer your second question, It would be the same when talking about the processor base frequency. Product warranties may not apply if the processor operates beyond its specifications. This means that the supported frequency for your processor is 4.20 GHz.

The 4.50 GHz frequency is the max speed that a single core can get when working under specified conditions.

You can check the Frequently Asked Questions about Warranty for Intel® Processors in case you would like to know more information about the warranty coverage and process.

I hope that the information provided was useful; if you have another inquiry please let me know.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Tuxa,

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos