Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

CPU broken or not

JST1963
Novice

Hi guys,

I am from Belgium and I have a nasty problem... A few weeks ago, I blew up my brand new main computer (I have several, most of them are used for work, yes, I’m a moron, I use my personal equipment for doing some tests for the company….).

The following happened (I’ll keep it short): I wanted to “upgrade” my PC, so I bought a new motherboard (Asus WS X299 Pro/SE) with a state of the art i9-9940X (+ €800 !!!), and 64G of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM. I choose this combination to run VMware ESXi, hence the CPU with the 14 cores). I cooled the CPU with my old water-cooling system (Corsair dual thingie, don’t remember the type, about 6-7 years old I think). I also had my older (not expensive, €350) video board in it. For some reason, all of a sudden, my PC died on me….

When I opened the PC, I saw that the pump on my CPU has exploded (plastic shredded) and that some cooling liquid has dripped onto the video board, as well as on my mobo. So, pfff sniff sniff (read: f**k F******K!!!) …. game over (even though I don’t play any games).

My question now is: I know my motherboard and video board are gone to PC-heaven, but do you think the CPU and memory has suffered from this short circuit? Do you think that, if I buy a new LGA2066 Mobo, that the CPU and DDR4’s will still work?

How on earth can I find out if my CPU is still working or not? If I buy a new motherboard and plug that CPU in it, and suppose the CPU is dead, will it fry my new mobo? I'm desperate here.... I spent almost €1800 upgrading that system, and it looks like it all went up in smoke.

Please, all suggestions are welcome...
One thing I do know: watercooling never again!

Thx,

Johan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JST1963
Novice

OK, thanks for the advise, Albert. At least now I know what I can expect   ...........

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

take the processor and memory to a repair shop and have them tested.

0 Kudos
JST1963
Novice

Hey AlHill,

That's another problem: the shop where I bought all the stuff doesn't want to test it anymore. I was so stupid enough to tell them the damage was cause by liquid. So, now the refuse to do some tests (at €20 per 15 minutes)?

Others shops don't want to help because they say I didn't buy the CPU/RAM/Mobo from them....

I'm really stuck. Doesn't Intel themselves have a test bench for these purposes?

Johan

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JST1963, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, no, Intel® does not have a test bench for those purposes, Intel® only provide the warranty option to replace the unit which is this case does not apply since the Intel® Processor has liquid damage.

As an alternative for this scenario, if you have the option of course, will be to contact a friend or another local repair shop to test the Intel® Processor in another board to confirm if it might be defective.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JST1963
Novice

Hi Albert,

Thx for your reply. However, nothing indicates there is liquid damage to the processor. I only said that, while the PC was running, a problem occurred to the water cooling so that a few drops of liquid were spilled onto my motherboard and everything stopped... On the processor itself no liquid was spilled. I only assume that there was a short circuit on the mobo. And that's why I want to know if my cpu would be damaged as well. Looking at the cpu doesn't tell you what happened. So if I hadn't told here on the forum what happened, everybody would say: return it, there's a waranty...

Johan

0 Kudos
JST1963
Novice

Albert, since you are an expert on this matter, suppose my CPU has died (R.I.P.) but I try it out in a new mobo, can I damage this new mobo? I mean, On most Asus motherboards there are LED's that indicate there is a problem with the HD, with the RAM, with the video, and also with the CPU. So if I plug a broken µP onto a brand new motherboard, will it just not work, or will it also corrupt my motherboard?

Johan

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi JST1963, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In regard to your inquiry, there is no guarantee that the Intel® Processor will damage the board or not, in this case, both scenarios are possible, the only way to confirm the results will be by testing it, that will be at your own risk since the outcome is actually uncertain.

Just to let you know, the warranty service that we provide is for USA and Canada, since you are located in Belgium and considering all the details that you gave us on this matter, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with your local Intel® Support department through phone/chat, explain the situation and confirm with them what option are available for this specific situation:

Chat:

http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat

Phone:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
JST1963
Novice

OK, thanks for the advise, Albert. At least now I know what I can expect   ...........

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JST1963, You are very welcome.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos