Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

CPU i5-9300HF > temperature on the limit when gaming WRC 9 game

MIKA54
Novice

Hi everybody !

Surpisingly, when gaming the WRC 9 game my CPU is running at 93 - 97 deg.C. Reasonable (low) graphical parameters are used.  When rallying with the WRC 8 edition then CPU is reaching 90 - 95 deg.C.   Other racing / rallying games ( Grid, Project Cars, F2019)  >  CPU temperatures are quite in lower range: 75 - 88 deg.C.

What is wrong with this WRC game ?  Is anybody meeting such / similar issue when gaming the WRC 9 game ?

My computer > Lenovo Legion Y540-17IRH  with CPU i5-9300HF 2.4GHz ; GPU: RTX2060.

Will be glad to note any kind & workable comments. Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello MIKA54,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Based on the pictures, looks like the CPU is running above the base frequency. I recommend you to disable any overclocking (turbo boost as well) options at the BIOS.

3. Have you run all Windows updates, including optional updates?

4. Have you updated your drivers and BIOS?

5. Since you have a laptop, I recommend you to check with Lenovo for steps about how to control the temperatures on their system.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

Following your kind reply with basic suggestion, attached please find adequate files created some minutes ago.
Also, the test result file created with the Lenovo web-application test is enclosed.
Really, system, BIOS version and other drivers (Lenovo, intel, nVidia) are the latest versions available up to today.
NO any overclocking or special turbo option are used (never used on this laptop).
Please note that any warning signal or on-screen blinking about CPU high temperature is available when the game is in the run.
There is only Fan sound level on high run (for me, the fans are quite at max rews). 
As I wrote realier, some other rallying/racing games I am playing (on Steam) also, are running with the CPU's temp. level basically at 85 - 93 deg.C.

Will be glad to note your effective investigation/evaluation of the real problem arising, especially with the WRC 9 game on my LL Y540 laptop (purchased as the best for gaming !). 
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best regards,
MIKA54
*Lenovo_cpu test result_15-06-2021.JPG

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello MIKA54, 

Thank for the information provided, with this I will check internally and post back as soon as I have any update for you.

Also, I would like to let you know that since you have a laptop, the manufacture (Lenovo) is the one in charge of the cooling solution as well as the BIOS options (which controls the CPU). Even though you have not changed anything at the BIOS, please just check and confirm that the CPU is not running above the base frequency (2.40 GHz) since this could increase the temperature.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Hello Deivid,

- thanks a lot for your kind reply and promise on tracing this i5 overheating type issue.
Please note I am sure there is no trick on volting or frequency manipulations > never tried to adjust other way than initial, original Lenovo's basics.  CPU is originally at 2.4GHz.  This same with the BIOS configuration - as far as I know (system checks with Lenovo's tool), the existing BIOS is OK 
For that, just take a look into attached new files (screenshots). There is also one special picture (named IMG_20210607_213846) showing the basic CPU thermal problem considered >  standard laptop usage, versus playing the WRC9 game > as you can see, the gaming is at the temp. level up to 98 deg.C). 

Really, I am not a heavy gamer and, generally, I am not interested in performing any clocking manipulations. . . 
Purchased this Lenovo Legion Y540- with the good companion of i5 & nVidia RTX, just in trust this model was (can be still) the best model for covering my personal satisfaction when gaming.
Must trust you can investigate my issue properly. Pls do everything to help me according to the Intel's proffesional care.
Best regards,
MIKA54.

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I'm looking at buying a gaming computer myself.  No one recommends an i5 for gaming ... i7 seems to be the minimum.  So problems with an i5 would probably be expected!

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Hello Colleague,

If you are really looking for a gaming comp., with good budget frames, then really search for PC with the latest i9 or Ryzen 9.

But pls consider my case: this LL Y540 laptop was purchased one year ago ; was hardly advertised as highly efficient gamin laptop for all available top-games on the market (mid-2020);  also as sufficient for the future games to come, also under freshly developed nVidia's RTX idea (my GPU is RTX 2060).  That was my basic impression under mid-2020 criteria . . . Current my impression is diffrent - I am sure the newest WRC 10 will be available for me only with the look into YouTube videos. . .  If I decide to play WRC10 then will gently cook my CPU, most likely . . .

But the point of my case is difficult to be reduced, in spite of the kind Intel Community and Lenovo Cust.Care assistance. Just I am getting short statement, that the Tmax (Tjunction) is 100 deg.C., so (astonishingly) CPU working temperature is OK. Can you basically agree with such conclusion?  Will be you satisfied with such a temperature level on your new computer you are looging for?

For the moment, I am convinced,  that there is something wrong with the cooling system on the CPU assembly ( bad thermal paste and/or defected thermo pipes).  

And my simple question for all Members active on this Board (no such answer given, as for now) :  can anybody meeting hot CPU issues when playing the WRC Rally games ?   No matter their computers are keeping minim. requirements or recommended by the Game Developers. 

High fever can kill ; No workable answer (advice) is depressing. . .

MIKA54

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I was looking at a CyberPowerPC Gamer Extreme VR on Amazon for $1600 and it still only had an i5.   I'm saving up ... a good gaming computer is going to be more like $2500 ... ouch!

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Saving up is a good idea - to be satisfied, you really need  $2K collected . .   

My recommendation is to look for the following PC configuration ( can be attractive this mid-year):

CPU Intel i7 11700K / GPU RTX 3070 or RTX3080 / RAM 16GB / PSU 800W  / and silent CPU cooling unit with two 140mm fans.

But take for consideration some good/reliable web pages, to  read more on attractive configurations at the right price you can agree with.

Best regards from MIKA54.

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

Yes, overheating and fan noise is a big factor.  Hard to believe that with all this modern technology you still need these big, noisy electric fans that were invented in the late 1800's! 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello MIKA54, 

Based on the research and the reports provided, I would like to inform you of the following:

1. As a reminder, your Intel® Core™ i5-9300HF Processor is not supported by the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) since the tool is meant for unlocked processors ("K" and "X" versions).

2. Due to the fact that a processor is a mobile unit, we are not able to know what customizations were made by the laptop manufacturer. They can add, limit, delete features on their system.

3. The T-junction as per ark.intel.com is 100 degrees, and any temperature below that is considered under specifications and it is expected for the processor to increase their features while running high-demanding apps.

4. The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool passed and the Intel® System Support Utility did not show any incongruences and seems that the processor is working as expected.

5. I recommend you getting in contact with the laptop manufacturer to check if there is any hardware issue on the motherboard or GPU. Also, you can contact the game developer to know if the game is high processor demanding, if so, the behavior on the processor is totally normal.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

Thanks a lot for some essential lines in your reply.

With that, sorry to say, I am not on the right way to reduce/remove indicated high temp.level of i5 CPU when gaming rally game;

Is difficult to me to accept your conclusion, that possible100 deg.C. of CPU package is OK - Really, is such Tj level when gaming sensible ?

Therefore, I underestand, must try again to ask Lenovo's support for any workable, sensible solution to reduce Tmax of the i5 CPU when playing  modern type games.

Must assume that in the near future any human ( Board Member ) will give me any kind of the assumption or even guideline to follow,

remain with

BR

MIKA54

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello MIKA54, 

I do appreciate your comprehension.

As you mentioned before, the best steps to take would be to get in contact with Lenovo for advice on how to control the temperatures on their device.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
MIKA54
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

Sorry to say, performed several (suggested) efforts and created reports were not giving  you any sensible clearance of my basic issue with hot i5-9300HF when gaming.

But, happy to say, I am probably on the good way to reduce the i5 temperature, vitally below the Tj limit.

Just considering a few quite simple fixes in the system and the CPU in my laptop is now quite below 85 deg.C. when gaming.

You can compare my attached screenshot, to see the result of these fixes.

Thanks for your effort and monitoring.

BR

MIKA54

0 Kudos