Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

CPU lifetime and MTBF

RDjor
Beginner

Hello,

I wannt to know about the lifetime and MTBF of the CPU i7-6700 3.4GHz with heavy and normal load 100% and 30%.

Thank you for the answers.

Regards,

Rachid

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rachiddjo,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

I would like to clarify some concepts in your inquiry, the MTBF is the same that the lifetime, in fact the Mean Time To Failure ( which is also called MTBF) is the mean time in hours expected for a device or system to fail within a statistically meaningful population. This same concept applies even if the unit is running at 100% or 30% of workload. One more thing I would like to share with you is that for the processor in question the MTBF information is available under NDA(Non-disclosure agreement) only. If you have one please let me know in order to proceed, and in case you need one I can help to process it.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
RDjor
Beginner

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your reply. But i think rou're mistaken, the MTBF is different from the life time at least of what i know. The MTBF represents the statistical approximation of how long a number of devices should operate before a failure can be expected in hours and the lifetime represents ow long the unit will last. for example some electronic devices has an MTBF of 20000 hours but a lifetime of 5000 hours.

The bathtub curve in the attached picture explains the difference.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for that /thread/117524 rachiddjo.

I was unable to find any information regarding the lifetime of this processor from my end; however, I would like to double check this and confirm it. Regarding MTBF, please let me know how to proceed.

I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was not able to get any specific information linked to lifetime, from my end MTBF is the same as for lifetime.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117524 rachiddjo,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos