Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

CPU limiting first PCI-E slot to x2

Guiseppe1989
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning my Processor i7 8700k.

I bought the processor in february 2018. The performance of the processor was always according to the specifications, anyhow my friends with a similiar setup had better results (far more FPS) than I did. So i blamed my other components for this, because the CPU was working like it should. After 1 1/2 years I delidded my CPU and received bettere temperatures but still the results were very bad. Now after 2 1/2 years of use I recognized, that my GPU runs at x2 3.0 in the first PCI-E slot. I changed every component and with the i7 8700k of a friend my GPU runs at x16 3.0. There are no broken pins on my mainboard, my CPU has no visibile damage (I even opened the CPU again in order to determine, whether I damaged something when I delidded the CPU). Is it possible, that the CPU was damaged from the beginning and did anyone have the same problem and maybe has a solution for this? 

Just to make this point clear: I just changed the CPU (delidded i7 8700k from a friend) and my GPU went to x16 3.0 in the first slot. I changed it back to my CPU and it runs at x2 3.0.

My GPU runs at x4 in the second pci-e slot on my mainboard (aorus z370 gaming 3)

I am extremely thankful for every hint to solve this problem. 

Thank you and best regards

Guiseppe

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you updated the bios of your motherboard?

Also, just a comment, deliding your processor voids the warranty.

0 Kudos
Guiseppe1989
Beginner
Thank you for your Response!

My bios is running on F15b (latest Version). But due to the fact that changing the CPU solved the Problem indicates to me, that the bios Version shouldn't be the problem.
I know that delidding voids the warranty, thats why i delidded the CPU after 1 1/2 years.
0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

Intel cpus have a 3 years warranty, so, you delidded your cpu at the middle of it's warranty. And yes, it looks like your pcie problem seems to be caused by the cpu.

0 Kudos
Guiseppe1989
Beginner
Indeed that is very Bad luck. But i assumed, that my CPU was working fine and it lowered the temperatures significantly. At least i know it better for the next time. But it is not ok, that the CPU has a Problem which can only be recognized if you are an expert at computers.
I Was hoping that someone had the same problem and knows a solution for this.
0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

If you tried another cpu and the pcie slot was working in x16 mode, then the problem had to be the cpu. Usually, Intel have an excellent warranty service.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Usually, Intel have an excellent warranty service."

Intel does have excellent warranty service, which does not include delidded processors.

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

I know that. Too bad for him.

0 Kudos