Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

CPU running at half speed

MorpKnight
Beginner

So i have a Lenovo Ideapad 130-14IKB with Intel Core i5-8250U processor. In the middle of August i took my laptop to service center cause motherboard malfunction, and their repair my laptop. Since that it goes normal with no problem, until the end of September my processor just running at half speed. In intel said I5 8250U max speed at 3.4GHZ and now it stuck at 1.58GHZ. Where is the problem? Motherboard? Cooling? Processor? Or something? I'll put my SSU report

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MorpKnight,   

Thank you for your reply. 

There may be several factors that can be causing this problem. We already covered some of them like the OS Power Management, the BIOS update and BIOS default settings, test the CPU with our tool, and so on.   

Based on what we have done, one of the remaining factors can be your OS a little bit more as you mentioned that with "light" tasks it works: 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MorpKnight, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please follow these recommendations and let us know about the outcome:  

1. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

2. Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility and send the report either in a screenshot or .txt file. Follow the instructions here

3. Within the Operating System (OS), Check that the power settings for the CPU are high:  

Go to Power and Sleep Settings > Additional Power Settings Change Plan Settings Change Advanced Plan Setting Processor Power Management. And set the CPU to maximum performance. 

4. I can see that on your system's manufacturer (OEM) website there is a new BIOS update. Check with the OEM for installation steps and update the BIOS to the latest version: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/130-14ikb/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI  

5. Also within the BIOS, check the settings to check if perhaps Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled and/or Intel SpeedStep® Technology is enabled. Our recommendation is to use the BIOS default settings, so you will also need to check with the OEM how to change the values in the BIOS.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
MorpKnight
Beginner

So this is my result, and here i put my task manager screenshot that taken while i do the dianostic. By the way. i've put the CPU workload in OS to High Performance and i didnt find Intel setting in BIOS. If u can, can tell me how to go deeper to BIOS?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MorpKnight,  

Thank you for the information. 

I would like to clarify that processors do not run at their maximum frequency all the time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. However, in this case the CPU is running at base frequency, that is the reason why it seems to be that the Turbo Boost was disabled; in order for you to check the BIOS settings of your system, you need to check with the OEM (Lenovo) for further help. 

The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool shows the CPU is working fine with no errors detected, can you also please provide the reported speed by the Intel® Processor Identification Utility? You can send the report either in a screenshot or .txt file following the instructions here.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
MorpKnight
Beginner

Here i provide my report file of Intel processor Identify. it shows 1.6GHz, when doing heavy task, and provide 3.4GHz when doing light task. I still confuse why my system make the speed of CPU lower when doing heavy task like playing games, i play Genshin Impact and R6 and it run at 1.6GHz

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MorpKnight,   

Thank you for your reply. 

There may be several factors that can be causing this problem. We already covered some of them like the OS Power Management, the BIOS update and BIOS default settings, test the CPU with our tool, and so on.   

Based on what we have done, one of the remaining factors can be your OS a little bit more as you mentioned that with "light" tasks it works: 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
MorpKnight
Beginner
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MorpKnight,   

Thanks for the update.  

We will proceed to close this inquiry as it was marked as solved. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos