cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

CPU stuck at 800MHz (7700hq)

Hello everyone,

a few days ago, my cpu suddenly got stuck at 800mhz, i tried to find the problem, according to my findings it isn't a thermal or windows power plan issue or something. The temps are fine and the power settings are all set to maximum performance. After searching on the internet i found a couple of forumthreads where they suggested downloading throttlestop and disabling BD PROCHOT (some thermal protection), the moment i disabled it i saw the multiplier shoot upwards from the 8 it was stuck at, to normal levels.

So the issue is sort of but not really fixed...

Is there a normal fix, or is there a sensor that stopped working correctly? (which would mean sending the laptop back for rma, for the second time, sigh)

Thanks in advance!

PC specs: (laptop, lenovo legion y720)

i7 7700hq

gtx 1060 6gb

16gb ram

256gb nvme ssd

1tb hdd

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This is typically an indication of an overheating issue at the board level - or at least an indication of one (the result of a failed sensor).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

with hwmonitor open when stress testing, the highest temp is 43 degrees celcius (package, core 0 and core 3). this isn't surprising since the core voltage is a tad under 0.7V.

Do you know if and how i could see the reading of the sensor(s) responsible for this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Usually right there in HWMonitor (or AIDA64, etc.). They will expose any devices or microcontrollers or sensors that are exposed through ACPI.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

so i can't see it

can i assume that the laptop is eligible for warranty?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Are you asking me? I have absolutely no idea. That's something you and Lenovo have to work out.

...S

0 Kudos