Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

CPU underclock while charging

Marco2
New Contributor I
Hello, as title say i've noticed that my laptop underclock my processor (I5 1035G1) to 2.6 GHZ instead of 3.6 GHZ while the battery Is charging, i've read that It might be a protection for overheat of the laptop so while charging the battery the CPU run at a lower speed ti avoid problem with temperature, but i want to be sure that's normal, anybody know anything? Thanks in advice for the responds
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Marco2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, just to let you know, keep in mind that when using a laptop the manufacturer of it has the option to create all kinds of customizations, they can enable/disable settings in the BIOS as well as features and functions on their computer.

In this case, in order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® Procesor, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test in the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

There is also a feature that is called Intel® Speed Shift Technology

Intel® Speed Shift Technology, which uses hardware-controlled P-states to deliver dramatically quicker responsiveness with single-threaded, transient (short duration) workloads, such as web browsing, by allowing the processor to more quickly select its best-operating frequency and voltage for optimal performance and power efficiency and if that feature is enabled in the BIOS that could be the reason why also the Intel® Processor underclocks while charging.

So, the best thing to do, especially if the Intel® Processor passed the test, will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm if, in fact, this is a feature for "protection for overheat of the laptop so while charging the battery the CPU runs at a lower speed to avoid problems with temperature" and to verify with them directly which settings in the BIOS are enable/disable that could be causing this kind of behavior.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Marco2
New Contributor I

Hi Alberto_R_Intel1 thank you for your quick and exhaustive respond, i've downloaded and tried the Intel processor diagnostic program and everything is working fine in my CPU, also I've trie the diagnostic program wich was pre installed and provided by the manufacturer of my laptop wich also test if the AC cable gives the correct amount of volt while rechargin  and again everything result in a perfect condition so definetly it's just the way my computer operate, i just wanted to be sure, thank you again for your time.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Marco2, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, excellent, we are glad to hear that the information provided previously was useful and helpful for you.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos