Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15604 Discussions

CPU utilisation 100% on idle

DSFa
Beginner

Hi guys, 

Hoping if there's anything I can do to help reduce my CPU Utilisation, I've tried all of the youtube tutorials before heading here. There was one tutorial where turning off Sysmain / windows search or something that helped drop it down to 50%ish and spiking to 100 every few seconds but it'd drop back down. 

After I had rebooted my PC however it now sits firmly at a constant 100% even though the changes were saved, I have no idea how to reduce this issue if anyone has any tips I could try it would be dearly appreciated. 

As per screenshot the numbers don't even add up to 100% so I'm not sure why it's running at 100%. 

CPU: Intel core i7-9700K CPU@ 3.60GHz coffee lake. 

Thank you in advance
Kind regards, 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSFa, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

Is this a new computer?

Did you build it?

Was the processor working fine before without showing high CPU usage?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DSFa
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

No worries at all,  Okay sounds great! 

The PC is just turning 4 years old and the motherboard is: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA1151-CL ATX Desktop Motherboard 

I live in Australia and had it custom built by a franchise called:  ' PLE Computers '  there weren't any issues with the PC previously. 

I hadn't noticed it run at 100% Utilisation when I used to check the cpu / gpu temps while gaming with Msi afterburner / Rivatuner but I stopped checking it the last year or two. 

I had started running it again recently and noticed my CPU Utilisation was a constant 100% & I rebooted my PC and went to task manager to check and it still showed 100% while idle. The strange thing is I don't play anything that requires too much heavy load on my system as Dota 2 is the only game I play. I never see the CPU temperature go past 65 degrees or the GPU and even though it's still at 100% utilisation the system hasn't overheated as of yet luckily. 

I haven't installed any new softwares or anything like that in the last few years and I'm up to date with windows 11 operating system as well as it's updates. 

My PC seems to sit at max utilisation even on idle after turning on the PC fresh and giving it 5 mins or so to finish starting up a few apps like steam / discord etc. 

I'm very appreciative to receive your help, 
Looking forward to hear from you shortly.
DSFa

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi DSFa, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based o the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm, as you mentioned, that Windows is up to date and that all the components are properly installed.

For this scenario, in order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Additionally, in the following link, "How to Fix High Processor Usage", you will find further troubleshooting steps to attempt in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057744/processors.html

We also recommend to get in contact directly with MSI Support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to update it:

https://www.msi.com/support

If the problem remains, please provide the SSU report but this time, based on the picture you shared, select "Next" and then "Save", that will save the SSU file in your computer for you to be able to attach it to your post.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DSFa
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

No worries at all, that's great to hear the drivers are up to date and installed well. 

I have looked at the article and done all the steps besides reinstalling windows as I don't have the time currently but will get a chance to do that as a last resort in the nearby future.

I have tested the CPU with the software provided and it seems like it passed everything so could it be maybe the 100% utilisation shown is just some kind of bug or inaccurate reading. My PC seems to run okay, doesn't overheat during gaming or anything like that and there's not much stutter or lag in general use that I wouldn't expect from any system, (it rarely stutters and if so only a split second).

I have just contacted MSI today & waiting on a detailed guide on how to update the BIOS safely / which is the most stable latest version as I'm not very good with PC tasks. I'll get back to you shortly if updating the BIOS improved the CPU utilisation. 

Sure thing, I've attached the latest scan from SSU results as well as a more accurate image of the CPU utilisation in task manager as it sits at a constant 100% no dips or anything. 

Kind regards, 
DSFa

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi DSFa, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates and sharing the SSU report.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously.

Everything looks correct in the SSU report, including the memory RAM which is fully compatible with your Intel® Core™ i7-9700K processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186604/intel-core-i79700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

Perfect, no problem at all, go ahead and take your time in order to properly update the BIOS based on MSI instructions. As you mention, the suggestion to reinstall Windows* is recommended as a last resource for this scenario.

Once you get the opportunity, please let us know the outcome of updating the BIOS.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DSFa
Beginner

Hi Alberto, 

No worries at all, I'm glad to have reassurance the components are fully compatible with the CPU. 

I haven't had a chance to update my bios yet which I will get around to shortly, (I have been busy with renovations) 

My friend came over to help with cleaning the PC just from dust and he gave it a new thermal paste coating as he said it's been quite awhile since I had it. 

Surprisingly fingers crossed I don't jynx myself but the clean & reapplying thermal paste seemed to have fix the 100% utilisation occurance for now. It's only been two days so far and I haven't noticed it go up to 100% on idle like previously so I think it's abit too early for me to assume it's been fixed but so far it's been running stable. 

I'll keep an eye on my temps / cpu utilisation while gaming and if it does end up running into the issue of constant 100% on idle as well i'll update this post but hopefully I won't have to!

I will update my bios shortly as i totally forgot about that for the last few years.
Thank you very much for your time, suggestions & troubleshooting.
DSFa

CPUUtilisationnormal.jpg

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi DSFa, You are very wlecome, thank you very much for your response and for sharing the picture.

Yes, perfect, excellent, it is great to know that your friend was able to come over to help with cleaning the PC from dust and that he gave it a new thermal paste. Now, as you said and based on the picture, it seems the high CPU utilization issue got fixed and the computer is working properly with no troubles.

No problem at all, go ahead and take your time to update the BIOS. Hopefully, the issue will not return, if it does please let us know so we can further assist you.

I will be doing a follow-up on this case in a couple of days.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSFa, I just wanted to check if the issue of high CPU utilization got fixed and if you still need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSFa, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DSFa
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

My apologies for the delayed response as I had been a bit busy with the Easter holidays.

Much appreciated for following up on the matter but so far I think it is resolved for the time being as I haven't noticed it sit consntantly at 100% since. Very lucky it seemed to have sorted itself out.

Thank you very much again for your troubleshooting advise and time & have a great Easter holiday!  
DSFa

0 Kudos