Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

CPU won't boot after xtu

gwhyn
Beginner

Hello,

I was using iXTU to play around with overclocking on my new i7740. Its default is 4.2, I ran the burn in test for 5 minutes between each change. First I tried 4.3, all good. 4.4 all good. 4.5 and the system locked up as soon as I hit 'apply'. I rebooted the machine, it would post, you can enter the bios setup, but it won't boot. It keeps power cycling after moving on from the "press del to enter bios" stage. In the BIOS i see the cpu is reporting it is running at 4.5 (have pictures if they would help). I have reset the bios ( using jumper, then removing battery for 20 minutes and jumpering bios reset, with power unplugged). I also installed a bios newer than the one on the system at the time, hoping it might help.

While in the bios I noticed the CPU was reporting 4.5 as its frequency. I tried many things to 'clear' that. Including reducing the clock from 100 to 92 in an effort to get the clock speed down, but I don't really know what I'm doing... I reduced and increased the voltage, nothing would change the behaviour and the CPU continues to report itself as 4.5..

Is there anyway I can fix this? I hate to think I 'bricked' my CPU, I just bought it this summer.

thanks for your help and time,

greg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi greg-905: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities. We are sorry to hear the PC is not working as expected.

In regard to your inquiry, we always recommend to use the PC at stock configurations to avoid any kind of problems. As you mentioned, by getting in the BIOS and restore the values to defaults the clock speed of the processor should go back to normal. Depending on the BIOS, there is an option that is a multiplier that you can try to decrease in order to reduce the clock speed, but before you try that option, please get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board to confirm if that is a good option to try for this scenario.

Also we can try to test the PC using just one memory stick and please make sure the power supply is properly connected.

Normally there is shortcut to access the boot menu for you to choose manually from which SSD/Hard drive to boot from, on the Intel boards you need to press F10 several times when the PC is starting up to access it, did you try that option already?, the key might be different for your board though.

We can also try to re-install Windows from scratch or test the PC with a different SSD/Hard drive. Besides that, if the problem remains then the next thing do will be to swap parts, either to test your processor on a different board or test your board with a different processor.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
gwhyn
Beginner

Not sure how to reinstall when the computer won't make it past posting Alberto, or what would indicate it is a storage/os issue from my description.

Replacing the CPU allows the machine to boot, this was tested and confirmed yesterday.

thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

greg-905: You are very welcome. In regard to your inquiry, since you mentioned you were able to enter the BIOS, that means depending on the board that you should be able to see the splash screen where the shortcuts are showing, if that is the case then to re-install Windows you can use a USB bootable device and use the shortcut from the splash screen to enter the boot menu where you can choose that USB to do the reinstallation. The suggestion of replacing the SSD/Hard drive was based also on that same concept, when there is no post you will not be able to enter the BIOS or see anything on the screen.

Excellent, thank you very much for letting us know that information, it is great to hear that the problem got resolved by replacing the processor.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
gwhyn
Beginner

lol... excellent work.

thanks Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

greg-905: You are very welcome. Any more questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos