Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Can I offset the voltage of my cpu without damaging it?

AGu1
Beginner

I am a customer using Core i7-8550U cpu.As you can infer from the model of the cpu I use,I am a laptop user.Compared with the desktop systems,the cooling systems of laptops are generally more inferior.So the performance of laptop's cpu is always strictly restricted by the Thermal Throtting.In order to decrease the heating,I use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to offset the core voltage to lower the temperature ,thus boost the performance.It does work!Before the voltage offseting,the cpu could only stay on a frequency of 3.28GHz when using the cpu-z to stress it and its mark is about 1800 in the long run.But after the voltage offseting ,it could stay on 3.71GHz and in cpu-z its mark is 2200!!!What's more, the package TDP even drops a little.That means the laptop would be more power saving!!!So many advantages have been listed,but my worries and questions come:rumor has it that if you offset the core voltage for a long time,especially when it is under its full capacity(like Turbo Boost),it would damage the cpu!And after maybe a few months,you would find your cpu can't reach the original frequency(for me,it's 3.99 or4.00GHz) even in Turbo Boost in its default voltage.That's because part of the cpu current is damaged by the strong current caused by the voltage offseting!Is that true?Can I offset the voltage of my cpu in order to save power,cut down heating and finally boost the performance without damaging my cpu?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, GJC. Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than happy to assist you.

Firstly, allow me to mention that the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is intended for unlocked/overclockable processors only (cf.https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility Download, supported products section). Then, the risk of changing the default settings of the processor is too great and the results may vary.

Please keep in mind that Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) might modify some features in your processors as its convenience so we do not recommend performing this modifications with mobile processor.

I recommend you to get in touch with your OEM so they can let you know if there are settings that you can manage in order to achieve the configuration you are looking for.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AGu1
Beginner

I'm very glad to receive the reply of you,Intel.

Firstly,I do understand the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is specially designed for unlocked/overclockable processors,but it can also customize the performance of other cpu which is not unlocked or overclockable.Secondly,as to this sentence:"the risk of changing the default settings of the processor is too great and the results may vary",what are the results or the risk?Is it something about software like:the crash of system or blue screen or is it something about hardware(my cpu)like:damage the cpu,making it unable to carry on the calculation as it was designed just like I have mentioned or even burn the motherboard?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

<span style="display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: # 3d3d3d; font-family: 'intel-clear',arial,helvetica,'helvetica neue',verdana,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, GJC. Thank you for your response.

Regarding your questions:
  1. The Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility was designed for unlocked/overclockable processors since these units are optimized to support overclocking. Frequency or voltage changes should not be performed to other processors that are not designed for it. Performing these changes on incompatible platforms are under the responsibility of the user.
  2. There can be several results like system crashes, system instability, performance issues, hardware damage, etc...
Antony S.
0 Kudos
AGu1
Beginner

Thank you very much for your patience,Intel.

You have answered most of the questions that I have put forward.But there is one more most important question that I want to figure out:Is offseting the voltage properly (that means not making the system unstable) harmful to the longevity or the health of the i7-8550u cpu?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

GJC

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel is likely not going to answer that specific (can of worms) question - so I will. Offsetting the voltage positively can have long-term affects on the lifetime of the processor. Offsetting the voltage negatively should not have any long-term affects on the processor - presuming this offset is small enough that it doesn't affect stability.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AGu1
Beginner

Thank you, N.Scott.Pearson

I do hold the same opinion like yours. But you know,I want an official confirmation(or an adverse opinion against it) from Intel which can eliminates the worries a nd puzzles of me and my colleagues. I and my colleagues are working on laptops,which can boost the performance of cpu through negatively offsetting the voltage of cpu properly. So I'm eager to have a definate answer about it.

GJC

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, I rather doubt that you will get one. Intel does not officially condone overclocking (and offsetting the voltage is considered overclocking), so they may not be willing to say that this is ok. Still, if you would like to wait for such a response, feel free to do so.

...S

0 Kudos