Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Can I set my Intel iGPU to fixed core frequency on Windows10?

YChoo2
Beginner

Hi Intel and the vast public,

I am working towards benchmarking on Intel Hardwares, may I know is there any possible ways to change the Intel iGPU core frequency on Windows 10? Previously, I have managed to change the core frequency for iGPU on Ubuntu 16.04.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

according to me , you cannot adjust .because intel processor cores will adjusts themselves . If there is no work heavy work for cores , then it keeps idle

0 Kudos
YChoo2
Beginner

Hi Raju, thanks and yea I understand how the GPU frequency throttles according to the usage, but in Ubuntu 16.04, I can set the GPU clock frequency to a fixed value. I was hoping I can do it for Windows 10 too, maybe some Intel folks can provide tools for this use case?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is no API or GUI capability for adjusting these settings in Windows. Most boards/systems include support in BIOS for adjust these parameters, however.

...S

0 Kudos
YChoo2
Beginner

Hi Scott, thanks.

I wonder if i can do it on Ubuntu 16.04, there should be a way in Windows10. Anyways, let's see I can find anything at the BIOS.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, new day; new thoughts: Have you checked to see if XTU (Intel's eXtreme Tuning Utility) offers the capabilities that you need? I tend to ignore it as I am not an overclocker, but it may offer something...

...S

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello YChoo2, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. Have you been able to check the information provided by N Scott Pearson? If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
YChoo2
Beginner

Hi David, my query has not been resolved yet. I want to thank N Scott Pearson for the tip, I have installed and tried out the Intel XTU Software, but it does not allow me to configure my Intel iGPU frequency, it only allows me to configure the corresponding voltages.

May I get some help from Intel integrated GPU team?

And also thanks N.Scott Pearson!

Regards, Wilson.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello YChoo2, Thank you for your response. On Windows* there is no way from our side to change the frequency of the graphics adapter, this is because it works in a dynamic frequency that can go up to 1.30 Ghz, it being dynamic means that it changes on it's own and it cannot be set to an specific frequency. I am uncertain as to how you were able to change it in Ubuntu*. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
YChoo2
Beginner

Hi David,

In Ubuntu 16.04, this are the commands that I used

echo 800 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_max_freq_mhz  

echo 800 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_boost_freq_mhz

echo 800 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_min_freq_mhz

800 has the unit of MHz

To monitor current GPU frequency

watch -n1 "cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_frequency_info | grep Current "

Regards,Wilson

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello YChoo2, Thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with that feedback, nevertheless, there is no way from Intel's side to do so on Windows*, the frequency works in a dynamic way. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos