Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

H1010
Beginner

I have a 2011 Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214, which has an i3-2310M. I am thinking about upgrading to a quad-core processor, which will be able to handle higher temperatures and also have a lower load on each core, potentially decreasing heat dissipation.​ So I'm deciding to get an i7-2710QE, which would probably be the most compatible. I can control the maximum processor speed using the power plan settings, which will prevent the CPU from overheating. Can I upgrade to this processor?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You must contact Toshiba and ask them which processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those - only if your current processor is not soldered to the motherboard.

An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, AND BIOS COMPATIBLE.

Doc

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

Both processors are able to be removed from the motherboard, and I can confirm that my laptop's processor can be removed, as the tray is present. Also, here's a link to compare the two processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=53472,52220

0 Kudos
PSier2
Beginner

Hi H1010.

I was tracking your posts on 2 forums, have same computer and same problem.

Did you go ahead with upgrading​ the processor on Toshiba from i3 2310m to4 core i7-3610 qe?

Did it work?

Bios ok?​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So? It is Toshiba's BIOS, not Intel's. You MUST ASK TOSHIBA what processors THEIR BIOS supports.

Doc

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

Maybe there is a way to update the BIOS to where it can support 3rd gen processors?​ If I get the latest BIOS drivers from the manufacturer website, will this work?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

To use another processor, your device MUST HAVE A BIOS THAT SUPPORTS THE PROCESSOR, from the manufacturer of your device.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Why will you not contact Toshiba?

Also, if you think you are going to make your laptop perform significantly better with a 3rd gen processor, you are sadly mistaken.

The best thing for you to do is to take the laptop to a recycle bin, and purchase a new or much newer laptop, and stop this silliness about replacing the processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

The old​ laptop actually works perfectly fine, and it even performs much better than my newer laptop, an AMD HP Notebook 15-f387wm. I'm mainly upgrading it because the laptop is very reliable and the system is stable, unlike my HP laptop. Also, newer computers don't always perform better than older computers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Newer computers are supported, older ones are not.

Doc

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

That is certainly true. However, older computers would have been reviewed by many more people, which helps a lot with choosing the right computer. Newer computers could possibly have problems that haven't been discovered yet, which could be dangerous (like the Dell computers that caught on fire).​

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

Also, I just did some research on the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, and the Ivy Bridge processors basically have the same architecture as the Sandy Bridge processors... Only difference is that the die on the Ivy Bridge CPUs is smaller, and they use slightly less power than the Sandy Bridge CPUs. I'll update my laptop's BIOS to the latest version, I'll get the new processor, and then I'll see if it works...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am sure, if you look hard enough, you can find yourself a good 486 with Windows 95.

You can say the same for new cars, new houses, new phones.

Enough of this.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, for the last time, you must ask toshiba about compatibility with their bios.

If you refuse to take the advice you asked for, why even come here? You should be on the toshiba support site.

Now, if you damage your laptop, or processor, or if things do not work correctly and you have sporadic failures, you have been warned.

Doc

0 Kudos
DannyButterman
Beginner

Of course he knows Toshiba support has all the answers for him BUT -and he knows it, and you know it too - there's virtually no chance to getting something out of Toshiba on such matters. They don't care, there's no more support for this peculiar hardware, and they need to make people buy new stuff, not upgrade old stuff. 

SO, asking here for some other people who could have already successfully upgraded their Satellite makes sense, and that doesn't deserve this kind of rebuke.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@DannyButterman   First, this thread and discussion is FOUR YEARS OLD.

Second, frankly, it is none of your business.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
DannyButterman
Beginner

It is my business as much as anyone else. I've been in his place all too often. This thread may be four years old, it's still relevant. You just confirm how much an unpleasant person you are.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@DannyButterman   No, it is not your business.   My answer is correct, regardless of how unpleasant your thin skin may think.   If you or anyone else has succcessfully upgraded the processor, you are welcome to respond.   Attacking me is wrong, and is not allowed.

Why you picked this thread for a worthless response and attack is beyond me.  But, beware - your behaviour is not allowed on this forum.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

Just tried to see how to contact Toshiba for my laptop, but there doesn't seem to be any support... Well, looks like there's only one way to find out... I might be able to modify the laptop's heatsink so that it cools the processor even better. I'll update the BIOS to the latest version, get a new CPU, and see what happens...

0 Kudos
H1010
Beginner

It would very likely work properly, since the Ivy Bridge processors have the same architecture as the Sandy Bridge processors...​

0 Kudos