Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Can I use Intel XEON X5650 taken from a Mac Pro 5,1 in a Dell r710

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I am hoping someone can help me? I would like to know if I can put two X5690 taken from a Mac Pro 5,1 and put them directly into a Dell r710 without having to do anything but, clean the surfaces and apply thermal paste properly. 

To help, this is what is printed on each processors:

INTEL 09 X5650

INTEL XEON

SLBV3 MALAY

2,66GHZ/12M/6.40

L051B174

Hope this helps and looking forward to getting help.

Thank you.

Roman.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello AlHill and thanks for the speedy reply.

I have seen r710 for sale with these processors so I believe the BIOS should be ok? I will ask at Dell just in case.

My question is more general and more about if I might need to, for example, have the processors flashed, as you might have to do with a PC graphics card for use in a MAC. I  know the socket and architecture is the same.

Would you happen to know if this might be the case? I am very new to this so please forgive me if my question might seem a little basic/naive.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask dell what processors are compatible with THEIR bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello AlHill and thanks for the speedy reply.

I have seen r710 for sale with these processors so I believe the BIOS should be ok? I will ask at Dell just in case.

My question is more general and more about if I might need to, for example, have the processors flashed, as you might have to do with a PC graphics card for use in a MAC. I  know the socket and architecture is the same.

Would you happen to know if this might be the case? I am very new to this so please forgive me if my question might seem a little basic/naive.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Romek915,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

Due to Intel® Xeon® Processor X5690 being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Discontinued Products website

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

As stated by AlHill, our recommendation is that you also contact Dell* to obtain further details. You may want to read the following document that contains the supported processors by this system:

PowerEdge R710 Technical Guidebook > 6.3 supported processors

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/server-poweredge-r710-tech-guidebook.pdf

If you have any further questions, please contact the system manufacturer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much Wanner G!

Roman.

0 Kudos