Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Can a brand new CPU have PCB damage?

JakerZ
Beginner

I ordered some brand new Intel 6256 CPUs from the supplier, but after receiving them, I found some minor scratches on the CPU PCB. The supplier insists that it is brand new, but I doubt if it is brand new or not.微信图片_20220628150209_看图王.jpg微信图片_20220628150216_看图王.jpg微信图片_20220628150233_看图王.jpg微信图片_20220628150223_看图王.jpg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JakerZ,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In this case, by the look of the units, you bought these seem to be tray units. When we talk about tray processors and how the different authorized distributors sell them, you need to understand that once we provide the units to the distributor it is its full responsibility to sell them in the same good condition that they were initially received.  If any units provided by them have been damaged, they must be replaced by them.

Additionally, the damage that can be appreciated in the pictures seems to be superficial and we don’t believe it will cause a difference in the CPUs performance or overall functioning; however, if you are not completely satisfied with the status of the chips you are welcome to try them out on your end and if they are functioning, but you are still not happy with what you get you are welcome to get in touch with the distributor who sold you the batch that came with the damaged units and ask for a replacement.

Note: Please bear in mind that tray units are only replaced on our end if they came as part of one of our Data Center Systems; otherwise, the distributor will be in charge of any replacement.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
JakerZ
Beginner

Hi Victor G,

Thank you for your answer reply.

As you said, these damages are only superficial and have no substantial impact on the performance of the processor.

But my doubt lies in the manufacturing process of the processor, in the factory original state, there will be a probability of similar breakage on the picture because of the PCB board cutting? If not then this damage should be generated by the dealer in the shipping process or other circumstances?

I wonder if you can help me answer this question.

Sincerely

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JakerZ,

Thank you so much for your response.

On all of our channels of support, we only provide technical assistance and through some of them warranty assistance as well. We have no direct contact with the people in the different factories; therefore, we have no contact with the factory where these processors might have been assembled. As we were discussing the damage is very superficial, besides that it also doesn’t seem to have a specific pattern; therefore, I wouldn’t believe that this was made by a machine, but again, if you are not happy with what you got from the distributor who provided these units, you are more than welcome to contact them back and ask for a replacement, just bear in mind that since these are tray units and we are not involved in the warranty process you will have to stick to the warranty policy of the distributor who sold the units to you.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JakerZ,

We would like to know if you were able to check the previous post. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JakerZ,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos