Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Can an Intel atom desktop be used for gaming?

PristoMiky
Beginner

I have an old Compaq mini desktop from the early 2000s. The PC came with Windows XP on it, has 1GB of DDR2 ram (max supported upgrade is 2GB), and a single core Intel Atom 230 clocked at 1.6 GHz. This little desktop is very underpowered, so I thought about turning it into a mini emulation box.

I tested n64 and GBA emulator and both are sluggish and basically unplayable. The PC can't even handle DVD playback. Granted, the HDD failed a while back so I do currently have Windows 10 installed, but the same applied when I had lubuntu (stripped down version of ubuntu) installed.

Is it worth it to maybe try the Nvidia GT 710 GPU? Or is the processor so underpowered it wouldn't make a difference? The PC only has one PCIE x1 slot, and the 710 comes in a x1 model so it would be the best GPU upgrade.

Any other uses for this thing you guys can think of? The original Halo CE also runs at unplayable FPS.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Itis time for you to part with this boat anchor.  Take it to a recycle facility.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

btimofte
New Contributor I

Is this a joke lol ? Recycle that piece of crap

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's enough of that. You need to be sensitive to the fact that not everyone can afford to replace their systems.

You are in violation of the rules of conduct for this site. Do not repeat this behavior or your account will be suspended.

...S

0 Kudos