Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

Can i upgrade from a Pentium® B970 to a i3-2310M?

TDuar
Beginner

Hi guys,

I am having a big problem and i need some help, i upgraded my brother laptop CPU (Samsung NP300E5C) from a Pentium B970 to my old laptop CPU i3-2310M (ASUS K53SJ), i know that the B970 works on socket FCPGA988 and the i3-2310M works on a PPGA988, but according to my research the i3 also works on FCPGA988, or i am wrong?

I have installed the CPU and it works perfectly but the laptop shuts down without warning after 30minutes on. I have applied new thermal paste and i tested the ram, and it was all okay, i upgraded the BIOS and installed the CPU drivers, i don't know what else to do, is there a solution or should i give up and replace it back to the old B970?

Thanks in advance, and have a good day

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Darwin_B_Intel
Employee

Hello TiagoDuarte,

The Intel® Pentium® Processor B970 and the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor belong to the same Sandy Bridge platform but the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor use Sockets FCBGA1023 or PPGA988.

If the two processors are using the same PPGA988 socket then it could be assumed that both should work fine. Unfortunately the processor compatibility is defined by the computer manufacturer according to their upgrade plans for the specific computer. Sometimes they limit the CPU upgradability options so the customers are forced to buy a new computer instead of upgrading just the CPU.

In general terms we can only say that if you already upgraded the lap top BIOS and the problem persists then this is either a compatibility issue or a mis-assembly problem.

You might want to try again the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor in the old ASUS lap top jus to confirm that it is working fine. Also try back the Intel® Pentium® Processor B970 in the Samsung laptop. If both computers work fine with their original processor most likely you have a compatibility issue between the Samsung laptop BIOS and the Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor.

The solution for this will be given only by the computer manufacturer only.

0 Kudos