Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14533 Discussions

Can i7 5820k cause all memory slots from being read?

RPers2
Beginner

I have a new DELL Alienware area 51 r2 desktop. It has the i7 5820k cpu, 8 gigs of 2133mhz memory, 2 of 4 slots being read. I purchased 32 gigs of new memory 2666mhz as a upgrade. I was told if the 2666mhz was not compatible it would revert to 2133mhz. Dell says memory has to be 2133mhz 32g max. I installed the memory and only 24g of the 32g was read 3of 4 slots. The memory worked fine as 24g. After doing several checks, using cpuz, alien OC panel and mem tests the memory was found to be fine. The 4th slot with 1 stick of ram gave 2 beeps. All other slots worked fine. Dell replaced Mother Board and the problem persists. My question is can the CPU memory controller be the problem? Does it even have this on the cpu? Or Is there possibly something else? Dell is replacing the mother board again, they are also stating my memory may have caused the problem? I asked them to replace the CPU they declined, agreeing to replace memory and board. Any help/info appreciated. Thx

2 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, RayPer123:

What happens if you use the right memory sticks? It is possible that this behavior is expected since you are running the memory out of the specs. The memory specification for this processor are stated here;

Having this configuration (32 gigs of new memory 2666 MHz) can go two ways; it can either work or it simply won't work and from your description I would say that is not working since you already replace the motherboard and the issue persists.

Regards,

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

Since this CPU have 4 channel memory, if you just put DIMM on 4th slot and it still beep. It is CPU problem.

0 Kudos