Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Can intel just fix the MIDI/audio interface controller problem for new generation of processors

Djemazing
Beginner

To whom it may concern

I been having problems with my Denon DS1 where the audio randomly gets distorted. I've search forums, articles, I did some troubleshooting of my own, I've contacted HP, Denon, Serato DJ and all of them tell me it's an intel problem. The link below shows my problem, there are a others on intel's page that are having problems with midi controllers but all intel does ignore the fact that there is a problem. 

Computer Hp envy x360 Intel i7 11th gen @ 2.80 GHZ 16 GB ram

Serato ticket - YouTube

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Djemazing, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was the audio working fine before on this same machine using Denon DS1?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause the problem??

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner

Yes this is a new computer.

I brought the laptop in May 2021.

The audio on the laptop works fine its the audio on my denon ds1 which is basically  and external sound card used for djing.

The issue started when I received the laptop but as you can see in the post others are having trouble as well.

No I didn't make any recent hardware or software changes that might cause the problem

I purchase that card separately and it's not wireless here is a link to the audio equipment DVS Audio Interface | DS1 Interface | Denon DJ

I was using windows 10 version 21H1, I updated to windows 11 version 21H2 to see if it solves the problem but it's still there.

It happens at both home and work environments 

The SSU file is attached.

In addition to this my 2nd/older laptop that has an 8th gen Intel processor has no problem running the soundcard.

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner
Correction my old laptop is a 4th generation i5 according to google
0 Kudos
DjTj2
Beginner

I have the same problem, except I use VIRTUAL DJ, no external controller.  In addition to the random distortion, the pitch of the music also changes. I believe this is due to processor speed going al slow as 0.86GHz while Virtual DJ is running, when another task such as loading a song or firing up a web browser there is too much lag in processor speed increase. I also believe this is all caused by new energy efficiency laws ( see ACPI standard on Wikipedia) that went into affect recently in CA and several other states that requires manufacturers to produce units that adhere to some strict energy use guidelines.  (this is my opinion based on 4mos of trial and error with everything from BIOS settings to software settings, research and anything in between. But I'm a DJ unfortunately not a PC technician.) This PC is of no use to me without some type of solution, it was purchased for use when DJing.

I am unable to find the option to set minimum processor speed. formerly in the "change advanced power settings" menu. Can someone please help me find a way to set minimum processor speed?

Purchased new from HP.com 4/22/2021

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"HP"
BIOS Mode:"UEFI"
BIOS Version/Date:"AMI F.07 , 07/30/2021 12:00 AM"
CD or DVD:"Not Available"
Embedded Controller Version:"18.33"
Platform Role:"Mobile"
Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz , GenuineIntel"
Secure Boot State:"On"
SMBIOS Version:"3.2"
Sound Card:"NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)"
Sound Card:"Realtek High Definition Audio"
Sound Card:"Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)"
Sound Card:"Intel(R) Display Audio"
Sound Card:"Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)"
Sound Card:"NVIDIA High Definition Audio"
System Manufacturer:"HP"
System Model:"HP ENVY Laptop 15t-ep000"
System SKU:"8ST12AV"
System Type:"x64-based PC"

Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
Rothschild
Beginner

Oh man I have HEAPS of MIDI controller gear I haven't tried yet on my 11th gen as I'm still finishing setting up this new PC. Really hope there's no problems.

I am unable to find the option to set minimum processor speed. formerly in the "change advanced power settings" menu. Can someone please help me find a way to set minimum processor speed?

Anyways I'm assuming your HP is a laptop? Laptop power schemes are different to desktops & have a few things that don't show by default when going to "Change Advanced Power Settings". What is the highest Power Plan available? Balanced? Or do you have High Performance Power Plan also?? 

When you click on "Change Advanced Power Settings", in the box that comes up with the advanced settings, is there any other Power Plans listed at the top drop-down tab?

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner

On windows 10 it was balanced, Windows 11 is on best performance. In the advanced power settings the tab says high performance

0 Kudos
DjTj2
Beginner

It lists only shows Balanced or Custom plan.  I'm not even sure that the power is the problem, just a guess but I do still want to know how to set minimum processor state like i can on my other windows computers, laptop and desktops.

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner

My laptop was the same, updated to windows 11 to get the high performance option and to set the processor speed.

0 Kudos
DjTj2
Beginner

So how is your experience with Windows 11?  Do you recommend upgrading or is it buggy?

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner
It's great but don't recommend to do it. Only did it to see if it would solve my previous problem but it didn't. I have my spare laptop that can still run serato and vdj but it getting old. I might have to buy another laptop if thus isn't solved.
0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner
Correction my old laptop is a 4th generation i5 according to google
0 Kudos
DjTj2
Beginner

I  am going to mark this as problem solved for me. I did a clean install of windows full system (save nothing option). Power for processor never drops below 1.30GHz at idle. No further sound issues with VDJ software.

To be clear I had already tried "refresh" / "fresh start" as well as "reinstall windows from this device". The option that worked for me was to download windows 10 from Microsoft and perform a clean install saving no old files, and also saving none of HP's factory installed options. I let windows update get the correct drivers for the HP devices on the unit. Then I used HP support assistant to double check for missing drivers. PROBLEM SOLVED.

0 Kudos
DjTj2
Beginner

I also wanted to add that I am now able to adjust the power plan away from the balanced setting. Right click the battery icon in the task bar and a slider comes up to adjust from longest battery life to best performance.

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner

Okay let me see if I can try a clean install

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Djemazing, "Okay let me see if I can try a clean install", I just wanted to check if you were able to do the clean install and if the problem persists after that?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Djemazing
Beginner

I did the clean install, the problem still exists. Had to buy another laptop. Samsung Galaxy Flex alpha i5 with 8gb of ram. I still have the hp laptop and I'm waiting to see if there will be some type of update. You guys see this, it's several djs and audio producers like me that needs help. I don't understand why Intel or Microsoft don't see that this is a real problem people are having.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Djemazing, Thank you very much for letting us know those details and providing the SSU report.

According to the information on the SSU report, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 30.0.100.9805, which is a driver provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Just to let you know, the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific computer. For that reason, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in HP's website and the latest graphics driver version they have available in there is 24.20.100.6025 Rev.H. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-m6-aq100-x360-convertible-pc/12499188/model/13475171/swItemId/ob-210819-3

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

As mentioned by DjTj2 " I am going to mark this as problem solved for me. I did a clean install of windows full system (save nothing option). Power for processor never drops below 1.30GHz at idle. No further sound issues with VDJ software." This can be very well related to the Operating System and even though you mentioned that you already contacted Microsoft we encourage to do so again, since this is a proof that the problem is not related to the Intel® drivers:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Addtional Recommendations:

• Install only the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer to get better support in the system since the audio driver comes as part of the driver for Intel® Graphics controller: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-m6-aq100-x360-convertible-pc/12499188/model/13475171
  • In case the manufacturer driver did not resolve the issue, may try installing the generic drivers from Intel® Graphics Drivers and Software.
  • Reinstall the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) driver.
  • Contact the OEM since Intel® ISST is only provided by the computer manufacturer

In order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® processor, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means that it is working properly:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Also, we advise to get in contact directly with HP to confirm that the BIOS version currently installed on the laptop is the latest one or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos