Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Can't Install or Uninstall Extreme Tuning Utility

Joe_Farmer
Beginner

I was installing the latest version of Intel Exteme Tuning Utility (XTU) when I accidentally hit the reset button on my PC. Now I can't install it again and can't uninstall the version that it says is currently installed. 

When trying to install it I get the following error:

Joe_Farmer_0-1641249560556.png

When I try to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs I get the following error:

Joe_Farmer_1-1641249634785.png

I have attached the log file.

I tried the steps in the below article but there is no XtuService.exe file anywhere on my PC, the folder C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility exists and has 3 subfolders but none have any files in them.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

I tried a few other methods, none of which worked. It is as though the program was about 90% uninstalled when I accidentally pressed the reset button and now I can neither uninstall it or reinstall it in any way. 

Please help!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

You probably mess up with files status and caused some file system corruption... Try a Windows Restore point to a point before the issue occurred...

0 Kudos
Joe_Farmer
Beginner

Thanks megan3000,

Unfortunately that's not an option for me as I don't have a restore point available as below:

Joe_Farmer_0-1641347205482.png

0 Kudos
Joe_Farmer
Beginner

Hi megan3000,

So I was able to restore but it didn't work, looks like the restore point was after I stuffed up the uninstall.

Hoping there is another solution, perhaps through a regedit but I don't want to go messing around with the registry without expert advice.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Sorry to hear that...

The error message pointed out to a problem finding a file or path (as if it is trying to locate the file "XTUUISetup.exe")... The log also references to a mismatch with the the version ( from the log > "Another flavor of the XTU application of a same or higher version is already installed") and it also says that the Intel_XtuInstaller.msi is "Absent"

As a last resource, I know users tend to try "deleting all folder, files, and reference to a program" when it is not easy to uninstall, and sometimes requiring to "fix" leftover registry entries... but this is risky and may lead to other problems... unfortunately I don't know what registry entries XTU changes... I know microsoft have a tool to remove registry entries to remove programs that show problems to be uninstalled, but I don't have any real ans safe step to offer at this point...

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

If I may offer input here, there seems to be a windows registry issue when the uninstaller tool tries to delete the information. You can try to repair the registry by running this tool:

If this fails, an OS reinstall is recommended and let us know the processor model.

Regards,  

David G  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

@Joe_Farmer 

That is the Microsoft's tool I was talking about... Sorry, I didn't see @David_G_Intel's post before I replied...

0 Kudos
Joe_Farmer
Beginner

Thanks David,

Tried that already but didn't work unfortunately.

Guess the only thing left to do now is to reinstall Windows but I'll leave that for another day, I don't really use XTU anyway, it was just bothering me that I couldn't uninstall it.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update. Let us know if you want us to wait for the reinstall or if you want this thread closed.

Regards,  

David G  

0 Kudos
Joe_Farmer
Beginner

Hi David,

If there are no other suggestions to fix it then yes, you can close the thread.

Regards
Paul

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Please try the OS reinstall and if the issue persists, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos